Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow riding partner??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012 | 11:18 AM
jasontrucks76
Cruiser
Default Help him out

I like allot of you have the same deal going on with a riding buddy. I have been pretty patient with him as he came from a soft tale to a FLHX last year and has to relearn how to handle the bike.

A few things have become apparent to me when riding behind him though and I have given him some good positive encouragement and he is getting much better/comfortable riding. One thing that seems to be universal for the slower folk I've rode with is they are not looking far enough in front of them... Helping your riding buddy by explaining his eyes should be looking 3 seconds in front of his current position and that "look where you want to go" method really works well.

If all else fails give him a copy of Ride Like A Pro.... That video helped reinforce several habits I have been using for years and made me a better rider for sure.

Finally.... I live in the black hills and love the twist's! I ride hard and hit corners fast so when I want to ride like that I have one of two choices.... Go it alone, or tell the buddies I will be waiting for them at the next planned stop.

Riding, for me, is therapy and I need to remember one thing.... If i am not having fun.... Why am I doing it?
Figure out how to have fun and ***** the rest of the BS.

Old 07-15-2012 | 11:25 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by blackflame
How to deal with a slow riding partner, my buddy is just a slow driver and it sucks sometimes. I drive slower when i'm with him but it would be nice if he could pick up the pace once in awhile. Seems like he wont go over 60mph reguardless of road conditions. Be nice if could ride like we are together instaed of falling so far back that we look seperated,. I also feel it's safer if he would close the gap some.
ok end of rant.
Steve in Ct
Leave him behind!

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
How to deal with a fast riding partner, my buddy is just a fast driver and it sucks sometimes. I drive faster when i'm with him but it would be nice if he could slow down the pace once in awhile. Seems like he wont go under 60mph reguardless of road conditions. Be nice if could ride like we are together instead of pulling so far ahead that we look seperated. I also feel it's safer if he would close the gap some.
ok end of rant.
Let him go!

Old 07-15-2012 | 11:27 AM
PMC
Advanced

Talk to him, it that doesn't work just don't ride with him. Pretty simple...

Life is too short to not enjoy the ride.

Old 07-15-2012 | 11:45 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

What about giving him a location you'll meet him at such and such a time? While your in the air conditioned room drinking a coke he's still on the road. As soon as he pulls in, walk to your bike and give him the directions to the next spot. After a while he'll be thirsty and (hopefully) want to keep up. Kind of a reward thing...worked for my kids.

Old 07-15-2012 | 12:30 PM
CW4_131A
Road Captain

Man, this is a great thread! I have the same problem, a slow riding partner. Always lags, never keeps up in the twisties, creates gaps on the interstate,... It's just unnerving! When we get to a break or the end of the day's ride I let 'em have it. I mean, c'mon, what's worse than having all the HP under the saddle if you can't let the dogs out. So, during the breaks or at the end of the ride I've had enough and just let loose. I usually start with, "Hey hon, great ride today. How did you feel out there"? And finish with, "Ya know, I'm so happy you have you own and we can go riding together", 'cause my best riding buddy just happens to be the misses and it's her SAFETY that's my number one priority. Just sayin'

Old 07-15-2012 | 12:46 PM
Road Captain

If he is going the speed limit, this thread is useless.

All else is commentary in variations of driving against the law?

Where is the value in that?

Enjoy the ride. Be reasonable.

Enjoy the ride again.

Bravado is hollow.