Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow riding partner??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012 | 05:57 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by blackflame
Ok my bad, yeah i'm not looking race just keep a comfortable pace. I feel he is affraid to pick up the pace even on highways like 91 north. I dont consider myself a slow driver by any means lol.. I'm coming off a VTX 1800 so i'm trying to slow my roll, but i will not dive my "geezer glide" like a old geezer
Steve in Ct
There are some guys I only ride with when we do the back road 30-45 mph thing all day. This one friend could never go on Interstates, as he is a danger to himself and others, though he fancies himself as a badass and does not see that he's holding up great grandmothers in station wagons.

Conversely, I ride with a couple of guys who ride just North of my comfort zone. To boot, they have touring bikes, 3" of pneumatic shock travel, cushy seats, full sized windshields, etc. and tease me for my occasionally falling back. After 200-300 miles without stopping on a Softail with no windshield, I often wonder how they'd hold up. I've been hit right in the face with bugs so large I thought I'd been shot!

Old 07-13-2012 | 06:10 PM
Armstronges
Road Captain

You guys are lucky. I've lived here for give years. Had a good riding bud for the first two and then he moved. Still haven't found anyone else. With that said I ride alone. I guess I don't have to worry about speeding up or slowing down.

Old 07-13-2012 | 07:13 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

Speed Limit plus 5 or 7 MPH over I will wait at the turn off.

Old 07-13-2012 | 07:34 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by blackflame
How to deal with a slow riding partner, my buddy is just a slow driver and it sucks sometimes. I drive slower when i'm with him but it would be nice if he could pick up the pace once in awhile. Seems like he wont go over 60mph reguardless of road conditions. Be nice if could ride like we are together instaed of falling so far back that we look seperated,. I also feel it's safer if he would close the gap some.
ok end of rant.
Steve in Ct
Tell him to quit ridin' like a bitch..
*** that ****.
Keep up or get lost.

Old 07-13-2012 | 07:55 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer

I was the slowest in the group of guys I ride with when I first got my Harley. They'd make jokes and talk to me pretty bad and would consistently leave me if I wouldn't pick up the pace. They'd make more jokes and would tell me I would get sick of being left behind...they were right! Between gaining more confidence (and experience) I am no longer the slowest in the pack. I'm not the fastest, but I'm not getting left behind. Try tapping into his competitiveness...if that doesn't work, perhaps it's not meant to be.

Old 07-13-2012 | 08:57 PM
Jday53
Road Master

So you want your buddy to ride above his means and go faster and take a greater chance of crashing. hmm thats not very nice of you. If thats what hes comfortable at leave him alone. Dont push him it will only end up bad. So that being said, dont like his riding style then ride alone. There thats my 2 cents.

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:30 PM
iamfree
Cruiser

i definitely don't ride as much as i'd like so when i do i go solo. tried riding with a buddy once but there are enough variables to deal with and it was not relaxing having one more as i like the miles and he likes to stop a lot. i did enjoy joining up with a small group between flagstaff and albuquerque once. we were all rolling about 80-85 together. they cruised by, invited me to join, i did, we rolled together, they got off after about 130 miles, i kept going. nice.

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:42 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLHTCU Owner
That is quite the conundrum. I too, have a slow riding buddy which becomes a little aggravating because I'm constantly up-shifting to keep from lugging. I just tolerate it, or I'll lead and he is forced to keep up.
If you would down-shift instead you wouldn't have that lugging problem.

Old 07-13-2012 | 11:46 PM
rcpilot_971
Tourer

One positive thing about a slow rider they will keep the cars off your ***

why not let them lead the way when I rider with my wife she leads I ride at her pace

Old 07-14-2012 | 12:53 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Tell him to quit ridin' like a bitch..
*** that ****.
Keep up or get lost.
Hahahaha! I love it. My feelings exactly!

Quick Reply: Slow riding partner??