Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine case vent mod - good bye oil in intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default engine case vent mod - good bye oil in intake

seen this done on this forum off and on. basically got to thinking I do not want to suck in hot air into my intake, didn't want to suck in oil (I keep it low but it still sucks it in) etc, etc. So got a kit that was supposed to work on a twin cam...but it really wasn't designed for stage i intakes. so I put a metal cut off blade on my table saw and cut the case vent bolt barrels off my stage one back plate. used a little rubber to fill a small hole and mounted the kit up. I'm going to get a clamp to secure the end of the filter to one of the push rod tube lower cover base bolts. took it for a spin and I like it. I have an extra back plate if I decide I want to undo all this. The filter does get hot so there's definitely a lot of air movinging in and out. The kit I used was " 35-0123-VT Sifton Braided Hose Crankcase Breather Kit for 1993-up Harley Big Twin Evolution & Twin Cam 88 "

Attached Thumbnails engine case vent mod - good bye oil in intake-screen-shot-2012-07-11-at-7.56.08-pm.jpg  

Last edited by speakerfritz; 07-11-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I had a similar setup on my 98 DWG and if you don't move that small breather down below the frame it's going to pee right on top of your cam chain case....I like your thinking outside the box though.....very nice.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

on the peeing thing...I have a bowl that attaches to the end of the filter which is supposed to catch pee....so I'm def looking out for that.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Mikind7
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar setup on my ol '89 Evo, be aware when that little filter element gets wet in a heavy rain it will plug up and and then oil will blow out of every gasket and seal. Been there got the t-shirt. Just sayin....

Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 PM
MBrown
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I upgraded to the new breathers in the rocker boxes and they are much better, less mist going thru intake. Then I decided I didn't want any oil going thru my engine so I changed to external breathers also. I keep a check on the hose ends and have very little mist going thru. I used braided line and AN fittings on mine with the SE heavy Breather.
engine case vent mod - good bye oil in intake-crankcase-vents-routed.jpg

Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Hammy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with open hoses hanging down below the frame the oil mist blows on the tread of the back tire.. does wonders for traction.. lock the back tire lately or slide the back tire out in a turn.. no fun, no thanks..

Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 PM
MBrown
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran the hoses into a clear vented container the first 1k or so miles while I was deciding on what to do for a catch can. An oily residue around the walls of the container was all that was in there. After seeing that I had no reason to mount anything else.

No slick tires or oily mess under my bike and I do pre/post-ride inspections!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:15 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hammy
with open hoses hanging down below the frame the oil mist blows on the tread of the back tire.. does wonders for traction.. lock the back tire lately or slide the back tire out in a turn.. no fun, no thanks..
no oil mist since there is no vacum from the intake sucking oil out of the engine case. In this vent senerio, air moves in and out with each stroke of the pistons, the filter unit gets hot, but not wet at all from any oil. If there was an over fill senrio, the kit comes with a collector resivoir that attaches to the filter and collects over fill oil. so far, the filter is bone dry.