Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth it to swap spoked wheels for OEM mags?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by harfooz
Hi folks,

Adding the roadside assistance with trip interruption insurance is $30/year on both of the bikes. As long as we weren't in a major time crunch, I suppose, we could probably put up with the wait for a tow truck and repair at a shop.

'fooz
$30/year... so in ten years you're up to about half what the new wheels would cost, right? So it's not a money thing. I do understand the blowout concern though, that's just rolling the dice just like everything else when you ride.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have almost 27K on my 2010 RK with chrome laced wheels. When I bought the bike, I was concerned after reading some post on here about flats and keeping the spokes tight. I must say I am surprised at how well these wheels have stood up. They are easy to clean, no flat's, No spokes working loose after almost 27K miles. I put new tires on with new tubes around 20K. No problems so far. I like them! I don't think the MoCo would be putting spoke wheels on as many models as they do if there was a problem. JMO

Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been leery of spoked wheels with tubes because of the potential for flats that deflate quickly,
I've had 3-4 flats with the laced wheels on my RK, all rear so far. None have been the Hollywood movie type explosion people talk about. On one I rode about 15 miles just trying to decide if anything was wrong. And regardless what popular opinion is, I did stop to help a rider with a Heritage with laced wheels once and we got him going with a can of Fix-a-flat.

If the tube does get a hole in it the air still has to escape the tire somehow. So whether it's a hole in the tube, the tire or both, how long it takes the air to escape is going to be directly related to the size of the hole.

Spoked wheels require maintenance to keep the spokes tight and the wheel true
90,000+ miles on mine, zero maintenance.

Last edited by Neckball; 07-11-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:08 PM
GVTHNKS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swapped laced wheels for cast mags and glad I did. Harley spokes suck, rust up fast no matter how clean uou keep them and I also wanted tubeless.

I bought mine as new take offs from local dealer and paid 300 for both. They had quite a few to choose from so I did.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Short answer, if the spoked look isn't your primary concern, then yes.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Lone Star Biker
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harfooz
Hi folks,

We bought our '09 FLHX garage queen last fall for a killer price, knowing that it had tubed wheels that I wasn't crazy about. It came with the optional spoked wheels. I've been leery of spoked wheels with tubes because of the potential for flats that deflate quickly, rather than a slow leak, and the tow to a shop that it would likely require. A local rider told me about a flat they had, and they were able to get it home after adding two cans of Fix-a-Flat, so I have been keeping a couple of cans with me. I carry a plug kit and a compressor on the other bike.

Inflating the tires and checking the pressure is a pain because the valve stem is in a cage of spokes. But I've been using a pair of Camco valve stem extenders to help with that. It's still a pain -- especially on the rear wheel -- but less of a hassle than it was without the valve stem extenders.

I've located some local OEM Street Glide wheels with the ABS bearings from a new bike with no miles. What is a fair price to pay for these from a dealer?

Is it worth the expense to change the wheels to mags, or am I over-worrying about a flat on the road?

Have any of you made this change from spoked/tubed wheels to mag/tubeless?

Adding the roadside assistance with trip interruption insurance is $30/year on both of the bikes. As long as we weren't in a major time crunch, I suppose, we could probably put up with the wait for a tow truck and repair at a shop.

Thanks for your opinions and experiences about this. I'm interested in making the change, but I'm also considering the expense. Changing over to mags will be dang expensive and will buy a lot of other stuff for the bike!

'fooz
I just changed wheels on my ultra. I've got a set of OEM mag wheels with abs bearings installed. Only 6500 miles on the wheels and tires. I need to get rid of them. PM if interested. I'll blow em out cheap if you want them. I've got boxes to ship them in if you're not near Texas.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Posted this back at the beginning of 2012. It's why I'll never run wheels with tubes ever again:

Ohio to Tennesee via only backroads to meet my wife already there for vacation.

Picked up a nail in Harlan, Ky, ( Coal Country.) Nearest HD dealer 165 miles away,(Cincinatti.) Used a can of Fix-a-Flat to try to get to the nearest town, made it maybe 10 miles. Coal mine foreman stopped and gave me about 100 lbs of air out of his truck's compressor, and I followed him to a closed for-the-night gas station.

The mechanic was still there and told me " I don't know nuttin' 'bout Harley's but if ya' give me that tube I can surely fix it."

I used their auto lift to raise the bike, ( balancing act!) and pulled the rear wheel off and got him the punctured tube. ( All the while running back and forth to the lift because it kept dropping slowly to the floor every couple of minutes.)

He did a great job of repairing the tube, ( I should have carried a spare, I know, more on that later.) and I got it buttoned up and gave him the world's biggest tip.

Back on the road and 20 miles later, the tire went flat again. ( Turns out that Fix-a-Flat goop eats Tire Cement!) Hoofed it 2 miles to an all night gas station, bought all their cans of Fix-a-Flat, ( doesn't matter now!) and walked back towards the bike.

A Sheriff saw me and gave me a lift the rest of the way to the bike, telling me where the only hotel was, 8 miles or so down the road. ( It was pushing midnight by then.)

Here's what was pretty cool: I'd dump the Fix-a-Flat into the leaking wheel, drop the empty can on the ground and hop onto my idling Ultra and blast down the road for a mile or two before it went flat again, and the Sheriff would pick up my littered empty cans and follow me with his lights on!

Repeated the process and got another mile or so, this time running a red light with him right behind me.

Made it to the hotel on the third can. He pulls up along side me, hears it still leaking and remarks " Hell boy, you coulda made it another couple hundred yards!" Laughs and
shakes my hand and drives off.

Next day my wife and her girlfriend in Tennesee drive our Suburban up to meet me (about 125 miles.) We rent a U-Haul trailer, buy a 2x12 for a ramp with clothesline and haul the bike to Tennesee. The bike stayed in the U-Haul for the week until I hauled it back to Ohio to replace wheel, tire and exhausts...( Gooped beyond belief from Fix-a-Flat.) All in all about a $1,200 experience. ( And a wrecked vacation for me.)

Last edited by Stiggy; 07-11-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm runnin' out and gettin' me some mags tomorrow!!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

The street glide mag wheels really look good chromed.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spoked wheels are a deal breaker for me, will never buy a bike with spokes and or tubes in the tires.

cheers