Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too short for Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012 | 03:59 AM
Xube
|
Road Warrior
Default Too short for Road King?

I've been looking at RKs lately, since touring is my preferred type of riding. The Moco claims mods that make them handle well. However, I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam. Had a tall KZ1000 in the 70s; no problem unless I couldn't get a toe down after a stop, so did some Laugh-In drops. Any suggestions on me managing that size bike? Thanks for any input.

Old 07-11-2012 | 04:15 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Xube
I've been looking at RKs lately, since touring is my preferred type of riding. The Moco claims mods that make them handle well. However, I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam. Had a tall KZ1000 in the 70s; no problem unless I couldn't get a toe down after a stop, so did some Laugh-In drops. Any suggestions on me managing that size bike? Thanks for any input.
you will be perfectly fine with the weight of the bike while its moving due to the balance and the low center of gravity they have. If you cant touch the ground with your feet, there are a few options that solves that. either lower the bike, get your seat redone to make it lower, or my favorite, do like everyone else does and buy a street glide instead! im sure someone on here is gonna chime in about how it will suit you and your 5'6" frame perfectly...lol. Seriously though, another option would be to look at the dyna switchback as well.

Old 07-11-2012 | 04:17 AM
porterjet
Tourer

I'm a little taller with a 30" inseam, if I stand up straight.....anyway....
nothing that boots with an extra bit of sole, a rebuilt seat and maybe lower shocks won't cure. Memorizing where the potholes are helps too.
The RK is a great bike as are all of the touring models.

edit: eshaw is right, anything over 3 MPH is a breeze regardless of your height. Once you get your feet sorted out 0 and up is a breeze. They handle great.

Last edited by porterjet; 07-11-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-11-2012 | 05:38 AM
Drtumolo
Road Captain

I am on the shy side of 5'3" with a 28" inseam. I have 20k miles on a road king custom with the front lowered 1" a custom lowered corbin dual touring seat and a custom air ride rear. After all the mods I have no problem reaching the ground.

Old 07-11-2012 | 06:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Since you owned that KZ things have changed a bit in the riding world. Riders these days think they need to get both heels flat on the ground, although you and I know different! With a little riding you may find a stock RK is fine, as long as you wear good quality boots. You and I are similar build and I have been riding my old Glide, similar to an RK, for over 20 years. Yes I have dropped it a few times, but being low to the ground I can also pick it back up!

So try an RK for size at your local dealer and take a ride, to see how you get on.

Old 07-11-2012 | 06:50 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

I'm the same height as you with a 29" inseam. The key is to get boots with thicker soles and bigger heals. I wear logger boots when I ride 2 up to give me a little extra control. By myself I just wear my timberlines. If you want a RK you'll figure it out. The ride is worth it.

Old 07-11-2012 | 08:40 AM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior

Everyone has already said it... but here it goes again....

You will have no problems with a RK with a few mods.... Riding boots, lower seat, shocks, etc.....

I have the stock seat, but put on the Burley lowering shocks, (I think they are 11" or 10.5" where stock is 13") and that is it.

I am the same as you, 5'6" with 29" pants....

I could "ride" the RK no problem before, but un-level parking lots and gas stations would scare the crap out of me!!!! Now, no problem at all.

I would still like to drop the front end 1"..... maybe one day I'll get the front end lowered and the chrome lowers put on all at once

Buy the RK, and drop the rear end (cheap and easy to do) and get some thick souled riding boots, and you'll be set!!!

NOTE* lowering shocks to diminish the ride quality SOME, but the Burleys are pretty good, and the ride is still nice.

Old 07-11-2012 | 09:20 AM
Gotham
Road Captain

5'4" and 29" inseam with 2006 Road King Classic, sent my rear shocks out to Bitchin Baggers and had them lowered to 11". Sent my seat out to Mean City Cycles and had them lower it. Can flat foot now problem, Tippy toe a little with my unmodified Sundowner seat. Buy the King and modify it to fit you.

Ed

Old 07-11-2012 | 09:28 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

I feel your concern, I'm 5-8" with 30" inseam and my riding boots help including lowering the rear 1". At first the weight is notable and you def want to be careful with any downgrades or it could get away.... had it happen once so make sure and keep a good hold of it. When I replaced my seat to a Mustang super solo, it pushed me back and up which opened up a large list of mods, so make sure when you replace your seat you factor it in. The handlebars (stock) will eventually have to go, they make lifting the bike harder than it should be. The apes made it possible so even my wife could lift the bike off the kickstand ( weight leverage.....good thing). Its like everything else, you can do what you set your mind to.

Old 07-11-2012 | 09:33 AM
old marine
Intermediate
Default Too Short for a RK

I am 6' 3" with a 36 inseam, I still plan on lowering the back end. I have a custom seat which dropped me down and back 2 inches. I have never liked the feeling of riding on top of the bike, I prefer to ride down and low. I just wish I could extend the controls out by more than and inch, legs dtill feel cramped without Highway pegs. With all that said the RK is very easy to ride and turns on a dime.

Quick Reply: Too short for Road King?