Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too short for Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012 | 09:49 AM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

5'5" with a 29" inseam. No problem. Sent the seat to Mean City and they dropped it an inch and reduced the width a bit. I just wear harness boots with a 1 3/4" heel and there is no problem. You can also put Street Glide shocks on the back which will drop it some more but I don't think you will need it.

Also, changed the handle bars to get them a bit closer to me. I got the Heritage style bars. Now it fits me perfectly.

Old 07-11-2012 | 10:01 AM
Jon0807
Tourer

I'm 5'8" with a 28" inseam. I have a forward solo C&C seat which positions me about the same as stock and even closer with a backrest. But because the seat is so stiff I'm having more trouble touching the ground than I did with the stock seat. I was actually able to flat foot with the stock seat of I pressed down far enough. But the C&C seat is much more comfortable so I don't know if I want to change that. I actually got used to being on the ***** of my feet at stops. I'm much more mindful of dips and crowns in the road when I stop. I'm thinking of lowering the rear 1" shorter shocks but $$ is tight right now.

It took me quite some time to get used to. My previous ride was so low I was able to stand up and clear the seat by quite a bit. But I did get used to the height after a few months.

Old 07-11-2012 | 10:05 AM
CWO USN
Road Captain

Like everyones pointed out already, seats, rear shocks and handlebar swaps and you'll be good to go.

Old 07-11-2012 | 10:10 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

5'7" with a 29" inseam here. Narrow hips, with modified seat (1 3/4" lower), lowered shocks (10.75") and 1" lower front. Still can't flat feet unless I stand up. Not a big deal riding and stopping, except trying to back into parking space with handlebar turned, and backing up on a even slight incline, no leverage.

I have my share of laying the bike down, all during backing up.

Old 07-11-2012 | 10:29 AM
Jon0807
Tourer

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
Not a big deal riding and stopping, except trying to back into parking space with handlebar turned, and backing up on a even slight incline, no leverage.

I have my share of laying the bike down, all during backing up.
A backrest helps 100000%. If I try to back up without it I end up sliding off the C&C seat

Old 07-11-2012 | 10:31 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

for what its worth, the 2012 seat is an inch lower and narrower in front than previous years. it's a noticable difference to me.

Old 07-11-2012 | 10:32 AM
Jon0807
Tourer

I also highly suggest a jiffy stand extension kit. One of the best mods I've made and it was only $40

Old 07-11-2012 | 05:03 PM
WalterM817
Tourer

5'7" and thirty inseam. 2012 road king . It's rideable but no flat footing it. I am a short legged creature. I handle it fine but any gravel or slippery patch remind me of how much it weighs pretty quick.
I like the seat now but will probably have it lowered and next lower the rear with the brackets.I absolutely have to have boots on to ride it at all. The jiffy stand extender is going on soon,great idea from a previous poster. It's one of those deals where it's close just not close enough.
The Switchback is another option but after comparison it just didn't seem like enough. The bags and shield were smaller . Just seemed like it was not big enough to me.
I back off the air shocks to let my *** squish it a bit too. That gets me a bit lower as I'm so petite.Lol. It's definitely doable just realize that some mods will need to be done. Stock will work but not much room for any errors or gravel etc.

Old 07-11-2012 | 05:19 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member

We see things eye to eye, except I have a 28" inseam and I ride a '12 Road King with no problems. Can't flatfoot the thing, but then I never could flatfoot any bike since my Triumph. Backing is a bit of a pain but I plan my parking so I won't have to back up.
The bike can be lowered and seat modified to help you Flatfoot if needed. Good boots do help too.

Old 07-11-2012 | 06:46 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

Check out with a Reach seat on it.

Quick Reply: Too short for Road King?