Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great dealers I met on a Cross country trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,833 Likes on 4,214 Posts
Default Great dealers I met on a Cross country trip

I am not very confident in the San Diego HD dealers. I've had issues with a couple of them and the 3rd one is on the fence, but may end up being acceptable. I have an excellent independent (Cycle Visions) that I mostly use when I don't do the work myself.

I recently completed a cross-country ride from Rochester,NY to San Diego,CA. I had the opportunity to need assistance from a few dealers and was very surprised that I was able to find three excellent dealers in my travels. I would like to give each a shout-out for their excellent service.

#1) Harv's Harley-Davidson, Macedon, NY- I bought my first bike from Harv himself when I was a young, poor kid wanting a Harley back in 1978. Harv took good care of me back then, but in 1979 I moved to California. As a retirement present to myself, I flew back to Rochester,NY and bought a new Ultra Limited form Harv's shop and after a break-in period, rode it back to San Diego. The crew at Harv's performed at the high standards I remembered from my 1st experience back in 1978. My salesman, Drew, was an incredible help with ordering a CA. certified bike, and his help & knowledge was invaluable during this process. The service manager, Greg, who joined Harv's staff a year after I left the area, did an excellent job in the prep (with numerous additions) to my bike and the first service. The buying, set-up, and service experience was beyond excellent.

#2) Workman Harley-Davidson, Rock Falls, IL. - I left for San Diego the day after I learned of the voltage regulator issues and HD service bulletin to fix them (6/15). Unfortunately, Harv's couldn't help me because the repair kits hadn't been shipped yet, but Drew offered to set-up an appointment for me along the way. I declined his offer and checked with four dealers along my route. Some knew of the service bulletin but didn't have the kits and a couple didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
On a fuel stop off the interstate, I saw Workman HD, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. They received the repair kits that morning and had me fixed and on my way in less than an hour. Even though they knew I was just passing through, they treated me like a special customer. After taking my bike to the service area, the service writer apologized that the tech had gone to lunch before I arrived and they wouldn't be able to get to my bike for another 15 minutes...... wow, no need for an apology for that. This shop was great.

#3) Grand Canyon Harley-Davidson, Bellemont, AZ- I pulled into Flagstaff, AZ with 5200 miles on the odometer, in need of the 5K service. The staff said they were full, but would fit me in. While I was waiting for my bike, I went to the Rt-66 Road House bar & grill that shares the same lot. Great place too by the way. When I got back to the HD shop, I noticed that they had about four more ride-in customers, just passing through, in need of some service help. They managed to fit everybody in and take care of everyone's needs. Again, excellent shop and employees.

I wanted to share these experiences because I, like a lot of people here on this forum, had pretty much lost faith in HD dealers as a group. I just wanted to let everyone know that there a few out there who are still trying to provide good service to HD customers. I only wish one of these three were located in San Diego!!

Last edited by hattitude; 07-10-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:03 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to hear about your good experiences with dealers. I think there's a bunch of good ones.

I have a GREAT dealer-Harley Davidson of Baton Rouge. They always take good care of me.

Year before last, my wife and I were riding the BRP when the front brake master cylinder started leaking brake fluid. We got off the parkway and stopped in Hickory NC at Blue Ridge Harley. They replaced the master cylinder cover and gasket to fix the problem. They also noticed a noise in the primary. It was the inner primary bearing. They fixed it while we waited. They even loaned us a bike to ride to lunch. We arrived there at 8 am and were on the road again at 1 pm. Great dealership!!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post. Thanks for sharing this information.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:17 PM
jeeplite
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same kind of good service while on the road last summer, I needed the 5K on my way from DC to Texas. It was 5pm and I was ready to throw in the towel due to heavy rain when I passed Thunder Creek HD in Chattanooga,Tennessee.
They put two techs on my bike and had me out by closing time,also advised where
" not " to get a hotel room.
Hats off to those that help the traveler.....