Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bags on a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:27 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bags on a Road King

I've got a RK classic and I'm toying with the idea of getting a set of hard bags rather than using my leather ones. Are they just simply plug and play...meaning if I got a set of hard bags...will they just fit or is there some kind of mod that needs to be done to get them to work?

Anyone have pictures of hard bags on a Road King Classic? I'm afraid that they may look out of place on the bike.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:28 AM
Big E1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put HD stretched hard bags on my 06 FLHRCI. No modification necessary just need to adjust the back bracket that the back of the bag pins into takes 5 seconds. They look fantastic.sorry no pics at this time. I will try to get some uploaded.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 250 Likes on 159 Posts

I'd like to see those pics too!
Jerry

Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

To answer your question, the brackets adjust easily by loosening a bolt. That's all that is necessary to switch to hard bags.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to switch? It's a matter of personal preference, but I much prefer the softer, classic look of the leather bags to the plastic look of the hard bags. If it is because of the inability to lock the bags (which I hear frequently), there are options out there to address that issue. They're not thief-proof against a determined thief but they'd slow down an opportunistic thief who just wants to see if there's anything worth stealing in your bags. (Candidly, that's about all you can say for the hard bag latches anyway.)

Last edited by TKDKurt; 07-10-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

They won't look out of place. I've seen Road King Standards with laced wheels and white walls and that looks good.
I've looked at some myself but the little lady said she won't like my bike as much if I put the hard bags on. Her words are a little harsh to repeat but what she thinks is I'm too young for them. I show her these kids' street glides with stretched fenders and bags and all that and all she says is "do not like- it looks like an old man's bike"...Meanwhile I'm trying to go 60's styling the whole time. If she just said she didn't like them and left it at that I'd of put them on already but I guess she knows how to hit a nerve. lol ...Women...

Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The greatest thing about a Road King is how easy you can change it from a boulevard cruiser to a full out tourer. And nope hard bags will not be out of plaec on the King. Wouldn't mind getting one to add to the garage one day.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

we did not care for the looks or hidden quick snaps of the classic bags, I have yet to meet any of these Iron Bags on the rode

Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

All you will have to do is adjust the positioning of the mounting brackets on the bike. Other than that, theyre plug 'n play. That was the first thing I did to my RKC, hard bags. Here's a few pics. Enjoy!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
They won't look out of place. I've seen Road King Standards with laced wheels and white walls and that looks good.
I've looked at some myself but the little lady said she won't like my bike as much if I put the hard bags on. Her words are a little harsh to repeat but what she thinks is I'm too young for them. I show her these kids' street glides with stretched fenders and bags and all that and all she says is "do not like- it looks like an old man's bike"...Meanwhile I'm trying to go 60's styling the whole time. If she just said she didn't like them and left it at that I'd of put them on already but I guess she knows how to hit a nerve. lol ...Women...

I think the opposite when I think of stretched bags and fender over leather bags. leather bags make me think of fringe, hippies and indians. (and I have leather bags on my sporty lol)

Old 07-10-2012, 10:25 AM
stormrider79
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RaceFace
All you will have to do is adjust the positioning of the mounting brackets on the bike. Other than that, theyre plug 'n play. That was the first thing I did to my RKC, hard bags. Here's a few pics. Enjoy!

Clean real clean RaceFace...

Quick Reply: Bags on a Road King