Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Cycle Jack - the yellow one!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM
chunkybug
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Harbor Freight Cycle Jack - the yellow one!

Hey kids...just picked up the HF cycle jack, on sale at $99. Got it home, opened the box, and all parts were packed properly, instructions were there, and the exploded view was helpful in assembly. Most of the unit is pre-assembled, but the jack, and the lock need to be installed. This took about 15 minutes. Once in place, I tried to lift my 11 UC. Since these bigger bikes lean a but more, the jack would not slide under, but with a few pounds of force against the tour pak, and the one hand on the jack, she slipped right under, no issues. Just make sure you check that you have pushed the jack in far enough to catch both frame rails. Once up in the air, the lock mechanism protects you from a leaking jack. I was able to move the bike on the floor with a bit of coaxing of the front casters. Also, make sure you use a ratchet tie down after you jack up the bike. The tie downs connect to the base frame, not the lifting arms, so any change in elevation changes the tie down tension. Just an FYI. When you let the bike down, the tie downs release, so bring it all the way down, or if you need an intermediate stop, re-adjust the tie downs. This is only a minor inconvenience. Overall, I think the unit is stable, looks nice, and takes up little space, as the handle is quickly removed. Oh, one more thing, the lowering pedal is a 2 speed deal. Push halfway, and it goes full speed, push all the way, and it goes half speed. Half speed is also pretty fast, but a lighter bike may not feel this way. Remember, as it lowers, the tie downs get loose, so keep a hand on the grips. As with any shop equipment, it has it's characteristics, so knowing this, makes it easier to use. I say it's a good buy.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Good review. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Splais1
Cruiser

I have had one for about four months and love it for $100. Gets the job done. I have a center stand on my bike so getting the jack under is easy. You need to be a little creative placing pans to catch oil when changing fluids, but it is a great lift at the price and makes working on the bike nice when you can jack it 16" into the air. And yes, with caution you can move the bike around while on the stand. I have a decked out Street Glide by the way. ONE CAUTION - when lowering the bike make sure you push the pedal all the way down and keep hold of the bike - even at the slow speed it is pretty quick. I've found the best way to do it safely is to use the safety bar and let it down in increments, especially if jacked all the way up. But it's a great buy, quality product that does what it is suppose too.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 AM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll stick with my Jsjack! Its a very safe,rugged, & durable unit that is made here in the USA! Yes, it costs more but my safety & my bikes safety is well worth it!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 AM
faapilot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by risuperglidecustomman
I'll stick with my Jsjack! Its a very safe,rugged, & durable unit that is made here in the USA! Yes, it costs more but my safety & my bikes safety is well worth it!
+1 on what he said...J&S all the way!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I've used the cheap jacks and the better (J&S, Pitbull) jacks. The HF yellow is as good as any of the cheaper jacks, and can usually be picked up for around 70 bucks with a coupon. It will do the same job as the more expensive jacks, but the smaller footprint means you need to be careful with the balance when the wheels come off.

You don't need a 500 dollar jack to change the oil in your bike, but when you start doing more of your own maintainance and upgrades, you'll appreciate the taller lift height and more stable platform of the better jacks. I can stand to work on my motor using my Pitbull jack, it's the next best thing to a table lift.

Last edited by Mike; 07-09-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Love mine too, good advice

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Got mine last year for $60 with coupons. Well worth the $$$$. Didn't need a high dollar jack for what I use it for.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I put the jiffy stand on a block of 1" wood to stand the bike up a little and the jack slides under with no problem. I like my jack and have no complaints.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by tibadoe
Got mine last year for $60 with coupons. Well worth the $$$$. Didn't need a high dollar jack for what I use it for.
My 2012 FLHX Street Glide MSRP $19,995.00 + $10,000.00 in Genuine HD accessories & Screamin Eagle parts! My J&S jack delivered to my door just under $400.00. Do you think that I'm gonna risk it all for a $60.00 jack made in China! LOL!..........

Last edited by risuperglidecustomman; 07-09-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Cycle Jack - the yellow one!