Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Cycle Jack - the yellow one!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 PM
patriot2500
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have my King on one now and my buddy uses it for his Softail custom with no issues. Its a great buy for sure.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM
sftdyna
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was doing an oil change on my buddies ultra and got a chance to use his yellow harbor freight jack. I was actually surprised how decent it was! The one thing i didn't like was the lowering speed! That bike dropped to fast for me and it has two speeds! I used the slower one and it was a little scary so it was time for me to perform some surgery. I removed the the jack drained the **** oil out and replaced it with some harley hd fork oil! An hour later and what a difference it made. Im thinking about going to an even heavier weight next time just to see how slow i can get it to lower. For all you guys that use this jack try replacing the oil to something heavier im sure you will be happy.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sftdyna
I removed the the jack drained the **** oil out and replaced it with some harley hd fork oil! An hour later and what a difference it made.

Excellent suggestion.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
I also use the HF yellow jack. Best $62 I've spent on this sled !!

Jack slides right in the rail under the frame, for a safe and secure lift EVERY time !!

Always coupons out there for around $59.

Great for cleaning !!

Holy crap i'd be a twitchy nervous wreck with that bike on that lift with no tie downs. I'm sure you've had no issues, i'm not bashing you, but myself, i'd never be able to work on it and apply any preassure to the bike, i'd be to worried i'd knock it off the jack somehow.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Hrd Rider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority but I bought a Pit Bull about 7 years ago. I never tie my bike down to the jack and I've moved it all over my garage with the bike on it. The only problem that I have had with the Pit Bull is I had to purge the jack twice to remove the air in the jack. After calling tech support in TN, I found it was my fault for not closing the jack release valve when not in use. Even after using my PB all these years, I release jack valve and allow bike to come down just fast enough for me to get up and around to kickstand side of bike so I am sure kickstand is down and that it settles down on the garage floor okay. As far as what jack is best, I think it's up to the individual to buy the one he wants and he is happy with. There are a lot of HF & Sears jack owners with only positive comments on them so they must be right dependable jacks.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tie downs? (??)

Concur that for oil changes it's a bargain and I wouldn't condemn it especially at the price. ($100).

On the other hand doing more challenging work that requires stability, mobility and height it might be a good idea to go with something like J&S.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by sftdyna
I was doing an oil change on my buddies ultra and got a chance to use his yellow harbor freight jack. I was actually surprised how decent it was! The one thing i didn't like was the lowering speed! That bike dropped to fast for me and it has two speeds! I used the slower one and it was a little scary so it was time for me to perform some surgery. I removed the the jack drained the **** oil out and replaced it with some harley hd fork oil! An hour later and what a difference it made. Im thinking about going to an even heavier weight next time just to see how slow i can get it to lower. For all you guys that use this jack try replacing the oil to something heavier im sure you will be happy.
I have one of these and also don't like the lowering rate. Anybody KNOW if engine oil is compatible with the O rings, as it is considerably less expensive than fork oil? Wish I had thought of this years ago.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Appreciate all the comments... I am looking at the TITAN 1,500# Jack... Not as inexpensive as the HF and not as expensive as the J&S... Looks to me to be a good 'bang-for-the-buck'... I have one of their 'BullDog' wheel chocks and love it...

Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 AM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 90 Posts
Default HF Jack

Great idea regarding the oil, I've not had a problem with the speed, but adding a heavier weight oil would make it even better. I've had no problems with the jack, I store my bike on it all winter in my garage. Works great!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 PM
oly22
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
Been using the same for 7 years now. Here's how I lift mine (my Glide is also lowered).

1. With the bike on the jiffy stand I position the jack on the right side with the rear foot of the jack under the area near the thick wire tie on the frame rail.

2. With my right hand I get a GOOD grip on the handlebar just in front of the front brake master cylinder.

3. I then grab the handle of the jack and in one smooth action I pull on the handlebar to bring the bike up level at the same time I shove the jack under the bike.

4. I then immediately start pumping on the pump pedal. You can tell if the bike is weight biased front to rear. I just lower the bike and shift the jack accordingly. I then raise it a few inches off the ground then set the safety lock!
Same procedure I use. I have had my HF jack for 8 years now and works great for my SG and my former DWG.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Cycle Jack - the yellow one!