Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Seat strap, don't like it! Want passenger handrail!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:19 PM
gandy dancer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2006 Seat strap, don't like it! Want passenger handrail!

Agree with Jim---got my 1st HD in 1977--seat was held on with the screw on the back fender---took the strap off my Tour Classic last week

Old 01-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Snobal
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Rollon

I have the 2006 Ultra Classic without the passenger handrail. According to the dealer, the handrail will not fit because of the new mounting for the trip trunk and the rear speaker boxes. Has anyone mounted the standard handrail? If so, what did you do to accomodate the handrail?

thanks, much
One of thefirst things I did to my '06 Ultra was ditch that dumb-a$$ grab strap and install the standard chrome passenger grab rail (PN 91583-99). I know the parts book says it will not fit but mine fits just fine with the tour pac in the rear position. With the tour pac moved to the forward position, the rear speakers just barely touch it - no problem. The REAL problem is that with the tour pac in the forward position, it is a PITA to get to the seat screw to remove the seat for normal maintenance - so I keep my tour pac in the rear position. So much for "adjustability" in the tour pac --- and who wanted it anyway?????

BTW, I don't carry passengers - I use thegrab rail to securely tie down my gear with I'm going cross-country. I'd betthat HD went to the cheap grab strap just to increase their profits. They now charge $128.40 for what was a standard feature of the baggers for years......

Old 01-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Snobal
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Snobal

ORIGINAL: Rollon

I have the 2006 Ultra Classic without the passenger handrail. According to the dealer, the handrail will not fit because of the new mounting for the trip trunk and the rear speaker boxes. Has anyone mounted the standard handrail? If so, what did you do to accomodate the handrail?

thanks, much
One of thefirst things I did to my '06 Ultra was ditch that dumb-a$$ grab strap and install the standard chrome passenger grab rail (PN 91583-99). I know the parts book says it will not fit but mine fits just fine with the tour pac in the rear position. With the tour pac moved to the forward position, the rear speakers just barely touch it - no problem. The REAL problem is that with the tour pac in the forward position, it is a PITA to get to the seat screw to remove the seat for normal maintenance - so I keep my tour pac in the rear position. So much for "adjustability" in the tour pac --- and who wanted it anyway?????

BTW, I don't carry passengers - I use thegrab rail to securely tie down my gear with I'm going cross-country. I'd betthat HD went to the cheap grab strap just to increase their profits. They now charge $128.40 for what was a standard feature of the baggers for years......
I forgot to mention the other advantage of the chrome grab rail...... I only have 17K miles on my '06 but I know that eventually I'll drop it in a parking lot or campground. Try to get a bagger back up, by yourself, with a "grab strap." With your butt to the seat, one hand ona handlebar grip, and the other hand on the grab rail, these 800 lb road sofas are easy to pick up.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Sc0ut
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the standard handrails will fit. i installed one on my 06 egc. but do get the late model handrails. i got mine off ebay.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:55 PM
jimsmith94
Advanced

do get the late model handrails.
The "99" in PN 91583-99 means this part came out in 1999. Is there a newer part number than that?

Old 01-15-2007, 03:44 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

06 Ultra. Purchased a set off eBay for $35. Moved tourpack to rear and installed them.

Wanted to be able to strap stuff to the rear seat.

The only problem with the seat screw is that it is not a "captive" screw. If it gets away from you plan on spending quite some time looking for the bugger.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:20 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Took the strap off mine, haven't lost the seat or the wife yet.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

I too added a chrome grab handle to my 03 FLHTPI, but it was for no other reason than I thought I was going to need it for 2 up riding, not knowing if I was going to do a detatchable tourpack when I was converting my bike from P spec to FLHT spec. I too got mine off ebay for short money, I want to say 35 bucks. There was no way I was dropping the MoCo list or 20% off list for it.

So far I have not asked any of the co pilots if they have used it, but for 35 bucks I can't go wrong, plus it is chrome and chrome is good. As far as I know the tourpack is in the stock position, but I have no speaker pods to get in the way.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:17 PM
gibbyair
Cruiser

I have an 07 ultra classic do you know if the grab rail will work with the adjust backrest?dont know if that mount will be in the way.This is good news it will fit the 07..My wife is not much of a rider and complains she needs something to hold onto..besides me..hahaha

Old 01-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put the handrails on but have not removed the belt yet. I was surprised to see that the seat was anchored by a tough to get at screw. The seat on my old one was held on by two bolts that threaded into the passenger section of the seat and were EASY to get to. I hear you can replace the philips head screw with some sort on thumb screw that would probably make it easier to use. I'm not concerned about losing the seat but I figure I'll scratch the fender with the screwdriver or strip the threads sooner or later.

I wonder why they made the grab rails and the tour pak light rails acce$$ories instead of standard equipment like they used to be?[sm=ts.gif]

Quick Reply: 2006 Seat strap, don't like it! Want passenger handrail!