Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG headlamp bulb upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:50 PM
edthesniper
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SG headlamp bulb upgrade

Has anyone replaced their headlamp bulb on their SG with something brighter? I have a 2011 SG and I want something brighter that does not include switching over to HID. Just need a bulb that has a little more kick. Any suggestions?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 AM
98springer
Intermediate

Mine went out when I was on the road. Planned stop at HD and they had a "Performance" bulb for $25. Was screwed because I had to have one, so I bought it. Not sure what the deal is with it but DAMN IT IS BRIGHT! All of my buddies I usually ride with are getting them now. They say that it is really bright.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not just your lamp, it's your housing as well. Harley changed the optics a few years back (see the little dot in the front on the lens?) and the pattern sucks.
Get an E Code housing for $40 at http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=350
You can replace your bulb as well, but just the housing will make a HUGE difference.

On my SG the difference is night and day with the housing and a good bulb.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

IF you change bulbs- be aware that "watts" is not light output, that rating is "Lumens".

"Watts" tells us how much electricity the bulb will demand from the electrical system and how much heat will be produced
- ultra-high watt bulbs should be accompanied with an upgraded headlight connector and a warning that the wiring harness and /or switches may be over capacity.

I find the current H-D optics quite good ( compared to the other bikes I own- incl. 1 with an E code Hella)- and the "dot in the middle is to aid cooling the capsule and directing light.
Light from the bulb is projected in a calculated pattern ( focused) from the reflector, light from the top of the capsule would glare outside that pattern.

"E-code" or Euro spec seem to focus the low beam closer than I like ( while the high beam is "normal), it is easy to overdrive your headlights at 40~50 mph and highway riding demands high beam.
Bringing up the low beam so that it projects down the road will often send the high beam up to the overhead signs.

Many of us are having good luck with the silverstar bulbs- if you look at the packaging you will see that there is a relationship between light output and service life.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-09-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 AM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I ran silverstars before I went to LED.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM
edthesniper
Intermediate

Thx for the replies!!!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9003 / H4 - get a pair as they don't last as long as Mike said.
Ebay for about $35 a pair. Love'em. IMHO.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I find the current H-D optics quite good ( compared to the other bikes I own- incl. 1 with an E code Hella)- and the "dot in the middle is to aid cooling the capsule and directing light.
Light from the bulb is projected in a calculated pattern ( focused) from the reflector, light from the top of the capsule would glare outside that pattern.

"E-code" or Euro spec seem to focus the low beam closer than I like ( while the high beam is "normal), it is easy to overdrive your headlights at 40~50 mph and highway riding demands high beam.
Bringing up the low beam so that it projects down the road will often send the high beam up to the overhead signs.
mike
I respectively disagree. While I'm not an automotive lighting engineer (and I don't play one on tv, either I do have a background in TV/film lighting design in a previous life.

I couldn't figure out why I hated my headlight on my 08 after upgrading the bulb. While the 'dot in the middle' may aid cooling, it does affect the light distribution. After I changed the housing, it made a huge difference, at least for me, and here in Maine, with no highways and lots of Moose, I need all the light I can get. It's critical to align your headlight correctly. Just swapping a bulb out or changing the housing still won't make it perfect, after every change you really need to adjust your lamp.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:17 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default New lamp housing

Originally Posted by Peculierboy
I respectively disagree. While I'm not an automotive lighting engineer (and I don't play one on tv, either I do have a background in TV/film lighting design in a previous life.

I couldn't figure out why I hated my headlight on my 08 after upgrading the bulb. While the 'dot in the middle' may aid cooling, it does affect the light distribution. After I changed the housing, it made a huge difference, at least for me, and here in Maine, with no highways and lots of Moose, I need all the light I can get. It's critical to align your headlight correctly. Just swapping a bulb out or changing the housing still won't make it perfect, after every change you really need to adjust your lamp.
What did you end up using/ Tnx in advance.

Quick Reply: SG headlamp bulb upgrade