Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H K radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 AM
jrdfatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H K radio

Had a nice but very hot trip to Michigan last week. We went to Suttons bay then tried to escape the heat in Marquete on the shore of Lake Superior, didn' t work. Any way,on the way home my POS Harmon Kardon radio craped out on me, again. there is power at the head unit, the display is on but no sound. I can power it down then back on and it might play for 1 to 30 minute then out again. I think this is enough for me, I will take a look under the fairing for a quick fix, if there is none I am calling Biketronics. I have read some of the posts about Harmon Kardon on HDF, and that radio is a true POS. Now I have to sell my XM module but that is the only thing holding me back' EBAY here I come. Anybod have experience with Biketronics? There my rant is over. Thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 07:15 AM
bigdogx
Cruiser
Default h-k radio

i have there kit in mine, nice fit looks real good. lots better than factory imo. i am gettin ready to order splash shield, i forgot last time.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just replaced my HK with a Biketronics kit last week, love it!

The problem with your HK is common. Call or email Iron Cross audio and see if they want your core, they bought mine and I had the same issue as you.

As far as Biketronics, I bought the complete kit, speakers, adapter for hand controls, and Sony head unit. Came with a free splash shield as well! The Sony plays from a USB stick (whoo hoo, no more cd's!), and has inputs for an XM module as well as supporting the AVC input option, which I liked.

It was a no brainer for me to get the kit, especially after selling my HK.

Good service and the quality of the kit is superb. Installed the entire set up in under 2.5 hours on my SG.

I regret not doing is sooner. I shoulda tossed the HK along time ago...

Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Francois
Advanced

+1 on Biketronics. I too had the same problem with my Harmon Kardon.

I used Biketronics' kit to install my Alpine head unit. If you don't buy your head unit from them, make sure that it has a steeringwheel remote feature.

Along with this you will need an adaptor that will allow you to keep your Harley Davidson handlebar controls.

I am using an Alpine head unit that is a IPOD controller with a biketronics module that allows me to keep the hand controls.

While you're in there you may as well replace those cheap Chinese made speakers that Harley installed.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 AM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also had the issue with my HK head unit. I let this loss of sound issue go on for over a year before I finally got it fixed. I bounced back and forth on going aftermarket or to send it to Iron Cross for repair. After weighing the pros and cons I sent it to Iron Cross because of all the great reviews I read here on the forums. I have had the unit back in the bike for 3 to 4 months now and the issue is gone. In my case like many others the fairing brackets and the handle bar riser bolts were the real problem not just the POS radio everybody refers to. Don't get me wrong the MOCO should be repairing these for free but that's not happening as I traveled that road all the way to Milwaukee. Give Iron Cross a call. IMHO you will be glad you did.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 AM
jrdfatboy
Tourer

I thought about Iron Cross, but with the $250 min I would still have that POS unit. I would be $100 from a unit most seem happier with. When Sony says XM ready, what does that mean, I can add a tuner to the unit?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine has been fine since Iron Cross repaired it a couple of years ago.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Dalenut3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 09 UCTG few months back....The HK unit is indeed aggravating!!Come to think of it,its the ONLY thing i dislike about my bike. When its working properly its an "okay" unit.The prices of aftermarket head units have dropped so much over the years its very tempting to make the swap.I am getting ready to add the rockford amp as well as change out the speakers in the fairing as well as the lowers.May just wait a bit longer to build up the funds and change out the HK while im in there....

Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrdfatboy
I thought about Iron Cross, but with the $250 min I would still have that POS unit. I would be $100 from a unit most seem happier with. When Sony says XM ready, what does that mean, I can add a tuner to the unit?

no it means you can buy!! xm radio. to listen too. all you have to do is give them a call the radio is ready to go.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 AM
jrdfatboy
Tourer

I too have read the good reports about Iron Cross. I also think the HK when working properly is ok at best. I upgraded the speakers added a hogtunes amp and xm, still not that impressed, really not now. we listen to xm most of the time,but willing to give that up for better sound. I might put the xm module on ebay and see what happens, that will make my decision, if it sells, I am going with a Sony head unit.If not, Iron Cross here I come.

Quick Reply: H K radio