Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FML...the trans leak that just wont stay gone!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 AM
jyd83
Advanced
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
Default FML...the trans leak that just wont stay gone!!

So I have a 2003 Electra Glide Classic FI. Last season i got a intermittent trans leak that when it would come it would leave about a dime size spot. So this spring i took it to an indy shop that primarily works on harleys. They " fixed the leak by doing the following.see image in link

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

So the bike went back into the shop a month ago because of the leak coming back. Took the shop 2.5 weeks to fix it witch was a **** off this time of the year when i pre booked. So anyways i got the bike back on monday and went out tonight(friday) and after an hour i stopped and when i came back to the bike 10 minutes later this is what i came back to. anyone have any ideas on what is causing this or suggestions on waht to do.. i spent $723 to fix this plus the headache of going back and being without my bike for so long in a already short riding season up here. Here is a picture of the leak i had today

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

I dont know the inner workings of these things but to be somthing has to be interfering with the seals? I am going back to the shop first thing tomorrow(after adding trans fluid) and wanted some ideas to throw around with the guys at the shop.. thanks guys( sorry about the links i was unable to upload a picture

Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

see if you can determine the source of the leak- if it is the seal they already replaced, then the work may have been incorrect ( which happens all the time with home-mechanics).

you can track the source of a leak/seep by spraying with drugstore foot powder and it'll wash from the source.

2.) belt too tight can cause trouble

3.) check that the tranny vent tube is not blocked by mud ( wasps like to do this)- this is quite common

4.) esp. on recent models the tranny end cover bolts can back off, esp. the 2 lower bolts which mount the exhaust- new torque spec is 25 ft pounds.

5.) also, seals loose pliability ( "dry out") when the bike sits for a long period- but this shouldn't affect you

6.) if the first shop isn't willing to accept that "maybe" the work was incorrect- don't leave your bike and money with them, go elsewhere.
Kanes is run by Mick Cawthorne who wrenched for years on shovels before ever having a desk.

mike

Old 07-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 5 speed 1986 FL had a transmission leak. It turned out to be 5th gear was worn out where it came out of the trans. Replaced 5th gear and the leak was gone.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 AM
blkfalc4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shift shaft seal. The pos HD seal notorious for leaking. Shop should have changed it out with a double-lipped seal when they had inner pri off, even if it wasn't leaking at the time.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 AM
dd4lifeusmc
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your leak

As MKGuitar said and others
Some shops are not very thorough.
Belt too tight, worn gear etc.
Bottom line it is YOUR scoot, you need to learn it top to bottom front to back.
Not necessarily work on but it learn it.
#1 get a jack so you can jack it up and get under it.
Dime size huh? Well that may not show on the stick as a loss for a while.
So jack it up and crawl under the bike.
Look at the shift shaft. Is it wet on bottom side. Piece of toilet paper works good as it will quickly absorb any oil.
Look at the transmission final drive out put shaft seal. Is it wet on bottom side.
Look at the vent hose connection and end of the hose itself.
While down there
Look at the starter shaft seal going into the inner primary. Maybe it isn't the tranny leaking but rather the primary oil.
Also look at where the transmission final drive shaft goes into the inner primary.
Once you find the actual source of the leak, then determine the cause and correct the cause.

Ain't nothing better than getting down on your knees and LOOK.
Then decide if you have the skills or it need to go to the shop.
Then it is up to your to determine which shop is the best for you.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:25 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

Starter backing out of transmission was the most recent culprit for me. Although it is a very unusual event (I am told). I went to do a full fluid change over the Memorial Day weekend and rode over to the HD store to pick up fluids and oil filter. Come back out to the bike after only being in the store 10 min and find a puddle of fluid about 4" diameter right under primary. Long story short, turned out to be the starter. It is only held in by two bolts and one was completely missing and the other just hanging with no thread engagement. I was lucky to have not done any serious damage. My Indy mechanic discovered it just before he started to tear the inner primary apart. Glad he did as it saved me a few hundred I'm sure. Although your problem is likely elsewhere, it wouldn't hurt to get a flashlight and take a look at the starter housing where it engages into the trans.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 AM
jyd83
Advanced
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks guys for your input. The reason I took it to a shop is because I live in a condo and tearing the bike a part in my situation is not really an option. I checked the hose and there are no obstructions. I'm on my way down to the shop to figure something out

Old 07-07-2012, 01:51 PM
NECaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the second image the oil leak appears it could be on the center or left side of the bike. The source could be on the right side of the bike and when the bike is on the side stand the oil runs down to the center or left side.

I had a similar leak last winter on my 2009 SG. The source of the leak was a deteriorated gasket between the transmission housing and bearing housing on the right side. The oil was leaking past the gasket at the bottom where two bolts secure the muffler clamp and running over to the left side dripping on the floor.