Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inner cam bearing total failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Millerious
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inner cam bearing total failure

hi this is my first post.
I have an 06 FLTRI with 49k on it. It is stock 88A except slip ons, Ness big sucker and PowerCommander. The inner front cam tensioner and cam bearing disintegrated and I can't find any pieces of the bearing inside the cam case. I did find pieces of the tensioner, but no metal or bearing pieces. The hole the cam bearing was set into is damaged. The hole appears to be true to it's stock dimension, but there is scoring marks that almost look like a very coarse thread. I have removed the cams and plate and that cam is toast also, so I know I need new inner and outer cam bearings and new cams and to split the case and clean it out...
but my questions are:
what other damage may be done and
will the case be a total loss with the damage to the cam bearing hole or will a new bearing press in and hold or can the damage be repaired.
I know it is difficult to see in the pic, but I would appreciate advice on course of action.
thanks
Millerious

Attached Thumbnails inner cam bearing total failure-bearing.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,170 Likes on 3,677 Posts

Welcome to the forum...sorry your motor took a **** on you...

Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

will the case be a total loss with the damage to the cam bearing hole or will a new bearing press in and hold or can the damage be repaired.
I would smooth out any burrs and press a new bearing in using the correct tool. if it goes in tight, it's a keeper. Freeze the bearing over night before you put it in.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might as well upgrade to a set of gear driven cams, never worry about chain tensioners again.

If you split tha cases and remove all the bearing fragments you should be GTG as long as the new bearing goes in nice and snug. I just replaced mine a few weeks ago, easy peasy, didn't need to freeze the bearing either.

cheers

Old 07-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Millerious
3rd Gear

thank you all. I'm having someone more experienced split the cases for me. Crossing my fingers there are no surprises.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sauceman
Might as well upgrade to a set of gear driven cams, never worry about chain tensioners again.
First mod as soon as you get a TC bike as far as I'm concerned. Forget apes, seats, pegs, etc, etc. Get the gear drive no matter what year. It's not a matter of if, but when. I think the TC is a great motor, but HD should have gear driven it from the get go.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea but if you want to go to gear cams then you will probably have to send the crank out to be trued and welded. Just stock tolerances on the run out that "pass" HD quality control will not be tight enough to run a gear set. My $.02

Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
Yea but if you want to go to gear cams then you will probably have to send the crank out to be trued and welded. Just stock tolerances on the run out that "pass" HD quality control will not be tight enough to run a gear set. My $.02
Not necessarily. I just dropped mine off today to get a Feuling set up installed, with the 574 gear drive cams. With the Feuling Crankshaft runout tool mine was a "smidge" under .0025 - within specs to add gear drive without welding the crank.

Also, I had 40k on my tensioners with an Andrews 37h chain cam and both tensioners looked real good. Easily could have gone another 25k+. That being said, I'm glad to be switching to gear drive...

Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

You might have caught it in time. However those pieces that you cant find are what will cause further failure. These weak a$$ bearings are costing major dollars. Here is my last experience with this type of failure. To a tune of $5,000 for a total rebuild to a 103" Good luck with your repair. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...me-advice.html

Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Big E1
Tourer

Welcome and good luck with your repair.

Quick Reply: inner cam bearing total failure