Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator junked....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:57 PM
jeeplite
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE Compensator junked....

Took my 2010 RG to the shop yesterday because of primary noise. Tech listened and said it was a bad chain tensioner, so off it went to the shop. Tech came back out after taking the primary off, saying he had never seen this before.....the compesator was locked on the ramp. This caused the chain tensioner to rock on the bolt that holds it in place. The compensator also wallowed on shaft it fits on too.
If that wasn't bad enough the tech said he was going to check the splines that the clutch basket rides on. He said they have been seeing the splines crumbling off the shaft,not connected to my problem, but one they have been seeing on other bikes.
Parts are back ordered and due to be released 7/13, Tech thinks a upgrade might be in the works?
Anyone else had this happen? Sorry no pictures.....

Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

First I've read about an SE comp failure. Noisy, and fretting, yes, but not a locking up failure. I have 35,000+ on mine and so far so good. Was and still is a definite improvement over the old style. Please let us know if the is a B or later revision and what it amounts to.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM
jeeplite
Intermediate

Maybe I should be clearer and say that the chain pulley had ridden up the ramp and jammed, so it no longer was compensating. The mothership is covering the cost with no haggle....I'll up date when it gets back together.
The motor was running fine and there was just a little slappy,clanky noise in the primary.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

With that beefy spring pack in there, I have a hard time seeing how anything could jam in any position other than the stationary no load position. Let us know if one or more of the spring disks failed. That is about all I can figure that might have led to this.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:00 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

When did you replace the stock comp & how many miles on the SE comp?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
jeeplite
Intermediate

Replaced the oem compensator about 3000 miles due to primary noise and have put about 5000 on the SE compensator.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:41 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Jeezus compensators needs to be done away with......it just gives Victory a sales market angle.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Vics have compensators and those are troublesome, too. Me? On my now FOURTH SE comp... I believe anything is possible. The last one ate out notches in the cams.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 PM
dd4lifeusmc
6th Gear

noticed on a 4500 mile ride last month at various rpms, gears, and mph I would get an intermittent vibration.
when I got home I replaced the front motor mount and it helped. But I still have the vibes.
I got new Comp, just haven't had time to put it in.
Seems each year manufacturers come up with a way to make things fail unexpectedl;y, so you got to keep buying. And no it don't matter which Manufacturer it is!!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:03 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ok, being new to big twins, what is a compensator and what does it do? I have a 99 EG Standard and feel a few little vibes sometimes, I just bought the bike a month ago and it had new cam chain tensioners put in, it currently has 38k on it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: SE Compensator junked....