Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator junked....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Vics have compensators and those are troublesome, too. Me? On my now FOURTH SE comp... I believe anything is possible. The last one ate out notches in the cams.
I wonder if these problems are related to power output. You're on or near the top tier of that issue with your 120R and I'm rather down the ladder quite a bit with my Stage 1½ 96" setup. I have an early -08 SE comp that was installed 23k miles and almost three years ago and no problems that I'm aware of. It makes some odd noises, mostly whining which is nothing new along with another type of whine on hard decel, but no knocking noises that's been described as indicating a faulty comp. I'm now at 55k and am thinking about taking the primary apart for a thorough inspection just to check things out, as by now I'm paranoid.

Last edited by iclick; 07-08-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeplite
Took my 2010 RG to the shop yesterday because of primary noise.
What kind of noise?

Parts are back ordered and due to be released 7/13, Tech thinks a upgrade might be in the works?
Oh, boy! If so that would be Gen 3 SE Comp, which I guess would be -08B. I wonder how far up the alphabet they'll need to go to finally get it right?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sure hope so!! Im taking off my SE Comp at my very first chance after the 13th.
Plan on haveing the parts guy defect mine out. Haven't had it quite 2 weeks yet.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:39 AM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the latest SE Comp about 2-3 months back. Started hearing a noise like lifters loose while running down the highway. Got to reading about this problem here on the forum. I couldn't take it anymore and was loosing sleep so I took it back off and noticed the notches that were made in the sprocket ramps, spokes as I would call them. I bought a new bolt and installed the original stock comp. Noise gone!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I've got about 10-15k (can't remember the exact mileage) on my SE comp. Primary is noisy as heck... not looking forward to pulling it and inspecting... . I installed the SE comp because I could not take the hammer-slap from the stock comp at startup. So it looks like I changed one POS for another. Seriously thinking about saving a couple more coins and going to a belt drive.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

30K so far on the original Compensator in my 2010 StreetGlide. Yeah, it bangs like hell when I start it but no new noises since I bought it. I may pull the primary at the 30K service just for a look-see. I have the Extended Warranty so my strategy has been to just ride the bike and wait for the failure. Let MoCo eat it if it happens at all. Stock motor.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 PM
jeeplite
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked to the Tech this morning and looks like the new parts release date has been pushed back to 7/30.
Side story is that another customer that is an engineer has been working on a fix. He machined a primary cover with a pexiglass cover so he could watch what was going on inside with the engine running. His conclusion was that because the pully was cast instead of machined, that some times the pully would be pulling on only one ramp because of the small difference in diameter of the cast pully arms. Also with the pully and ramp spinning they were spinning the oil off. Bottom line is he had the pully and ramps machined so they had same specs on all three arms and the ramps were at the same angle cut. This may be a little over the top for all but an engineer,but I was told he had a spooky quite primary!
This could explain why mine locked up on the ramps,maybe a cast that was a little off,not just mine. Will see if new part has been improved........

Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Mean Gene
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My installed S.E. compensator makes lots of noise also. Probably got about 1000 miles on it. I put about 400 miles on it yesterday with no-mercy, nothing broke. Crusing various speeds in upper gears you can here the wine. I don't know yet how to improve on this, but I don't like to hear this type of noise, sounds like it runing dry or something similar.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate to hear this, I have one on order right now. I was told 7/13 too. My stock one is giving my starter fits on startup not to mention the noise it makes rolling.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Took my primary apart last week to check the original -08 SE comp. Found the usual fretting that occurs. Cleaned it all and reinstalled along with new rotor and stator. Primary much quieter now.

Quick Reply: SE Compensator junked....