Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This works!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM
chateau
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up This works!

We as bikers are always concerned about safety and public awareness. One of my biggest concerns is people waiting to pull out from arterials from left or right. Here is a little thing I have been experimenting with recently. I am always ready and expecting them to pull out in front of me, and sometimes they do and I have to get on the brakes to slow down to allow them to get in their lane of traffic , so I have my hand ready on the front brake lever, and now I will give them a little wave with the handle bars. Just enough to make those lights really show. Seems to really get their attention. Another thing I do when I see a motorist waiting for me to go by , is acknowlage them with a wave , this helps to promote public awareness. Give it a try.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I drop a gear and really let the pipes rattle off, and make eye contact with every car in an intersection.

the public is aware when I am near.

Your way is more politically correct, but you are still relying on them to ''visually see you''.

I have been stopped for being to loud twice. both times I asked the officer '' you heard me right?'' YES ''This noise drew your attention right to me correct?''. YES ''So it's no different than a firetruck trying to make it's way through the light, right'' All said calmly and politely (as I have a State Trooper as a best friend so I know how to talk to the law) I have never been cited for making my presence known in a hairy situation.

Last edited by Wild Card; 07-06-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't use any of these tricks and "it works" for me too cause nobody pulled out in front of me ....... yet.
The key word is YET. Regardless what makes you feel good, stay alert and be on your guard all the time, that's all I'll say.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 PM
trhayes76
Tourer

Originally Posted by Wild Card
I drop a gear and really let the pipes rattle off, and make eye contact with every car in an intersection.

the public is aware when I am near.

Your way is more politically correct, but you are still relying on them to ''visually see you''.
To me, eye contact is worthless, they will still pull out. I watch their front wheels....

Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did my own little experiment, several weeks w/o passing lamps on and several with...huge difference....almost daily someone would start to pull out (enuff for a pucker) then notice me...with the lamps on it was dramatically reduced

Old 07-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I flash my driving lights, rev the motor, wave my hand, kick out both legs and pump out ice cream truck music all simultaneously. Haven't hit anyone yet...

But I have been run down by small children!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 PM
PassRusher75
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Here lies the body of William Jay,
who died defending his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as He sped along;
But He's just as dead as if He were wrong".

Old 07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

Making yourself more conspicuous with the headlight is a good tip. I sometimes flash my lights, but I'm always careful. You see, many cagers think this means it's ok to proceed.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trhayes76
To me, eye contact is worthless, they will still pull out. I watch their front wheels....
Don't you really hate those spinner hubcaps?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Sometimes I just weave a little in my lane. They probably look and say what the hell is he doing, but at least they look. It could be the three lights flashing back and forth.

Quick Reply: This works!