Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This works!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I try to imagine I am a fighter plane pilot flying behind enemy lines and every single living moving thing is out to KILL me every time I go fo a ride. Every time I have had a close call is when I have let my guard down. It never ceases to amaze me when they pull out in front of me even with 3 super bright lights shining.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Verbal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
I try to imagine I am a fighter plane pilot flying behind enemy lines and every single living moving thing is out to KILL me every time I go fo a ride. Every time I have had a close call is when I have let my guard down. It never ceases to amaze me when they pull out in front of me even with 3 super bright lights shining.
Sometime I wish I had .50cals mounted on the front...

Old 07-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll say something about this subject so as not to seem like I'm hijacking the thread.
I wish I could agree that people do what they do as honest mistakes, but I drive for a living and see it everyday. They make eye contact with you and you can see it plain as day. The "F him" look.
I have always thought that everyone should be required to take a refresher driving course every 5 or 10 years. 8 hours of nothing but real videos of what happens to idiots that pull out on big trucks and what idiots do to bikers when they pull out on them. Show all the gore and guts of real traffic fatality scenes. Maybe it won't help, but it'd make me feel better.

Originally Posted by TURQ
I'll do that tomorrow after I get my bike back from the dealer for replacing the cracking sidewalls on my front tire with only 2700 miles on the bike! sorry, had to vent
A friend of mine has a 2012 SG with the same problem. The dealership acted like it was a one time thing, but it appears Dunlop had a bad run of HD tires. Hope all you guys are able to get them changed before they fail.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

This riding season I bought a high vis yellow mesh vest at Walmart for $6.00.

Have 4,000 miles wearing it and I have definitely noticed that many cars wait a little longer distance for me to pass by before they pull out. Don't have to slow down anymore because some one pulls out just ahead of me.

Yes, I know I look like a BMW guy but it makes my wife happy as she thinks that I might not make it back from a ride each time.

Best $6 accessory that I have bought. If one is mature and self confident wearing clown stuff is not a problem.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:14 AM
hep0950
Tourer

Use whatever you have to be noticed, but the best way to be safe is to ride like you are invisible, because to a lot of drivers, you are. I always expect the unexpected. While coming to intersections I keep the breaks covered and ask myself what would I do if a car comes out, and try to leave an out somewhere. Same thing on the highway. I've had some pull over on me, but I leave an out. I also have a habit of asking myself what I would do if the car I am coming up on pulls over. It was a conscience effort at the beginning, but is automatic now. I may add, my father taught me that trick years ago. It was while driving a car, but it works no matter what you are driving.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 AM
N2STUFF
Advanced

I live by the rule I am invisible and they will allways pull out in front of me. It has worked for me for the past 30+ years of riding. The second you forget this it will bite you in the butt.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:40 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two basic rules that I've heard over the years that apply well to riding safely:

1. Ride like no one can see you (several other have pointed this out in previous posts)

2. The "right of way" is something you can always give, but never have.

Others have also pointed out about always have an escape route and anticipating the next bonehead move from a cager.

We should all remember that at its core, riding a motorcycle is a more dangerous activity than driving a car. All we can do is mitigate that risk - it can't be eliminated. If we remember that every time we go out and ride accordingly that risk will be greatly reduced.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:47 AM
GeorgiaGlide
Cruiser

The Always see me when I pop a wheelie with my completely stock street glide.....

Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by chateau
I watch the wheels too , and you gotta love the ones that at the last moment , feel the need to roll ahead just a little bit more. Don't they know they could cause someone to have a heart attack . Sounds stupid , but it's not funny.
I agree. You can't trust them. If you assume they see you, you could get bit in the *** real quik.