Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery replacement on my 2010 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just replaced the original battery on my '06 RK with a Deka.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 PM
sixty4nhalf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking when the time came to replace mine, I was going to replace it with a Gel Battery, I saw one on e-bay (BIKE MASTER GEL BATTERY HARLEY FLHT FLHTC FLHTCU ULTRA ELECTRA GLIDE) for $166.50

Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,594 Likes on 974 Posts

I had to replace the 3-year old battery in my 2010 road king on the side of the road yesterday. Wouldn't hold the charge I gave it Friday. Advanced Auto Parts didn't list anything for 2009-up so I got one for a 2008 road king. Anyone know if it's the same? I found the part number - it's ETX30LA which is the same.
p.s. it's an AGM (gel) battery and it cost $128 (ouch); looks just like the Deka in the picture above.

Last edited by Joe12RK; 09-17-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 AM
kingultra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have a deka dealership here, you can pick one up for around 60.00 "walk in" with core

Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
I have used HD's OEM batteries. I tried aftermarket one time & will never do that again. Just my 2 cents.
HD OEM batteries are made by Deka. I'm just sayin'.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:47 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Many of us, including myself have went with Batterymart's ETX30L Battery, as it is basically the same battery as HD's. Exide probably makes them for HD and puts on the "HD" label.

If you are concerned about your battery, buy a new one, pull the old one.
You can get the EXT30L for a little less than $90 bux shipped to your house .

Peace of mind is worth that much,(that's how I justified it anyway, that and cheap insurance) and a tow and all the BS that goes with that would cost much more, and be a hellova lot more aggravating, especially since you don't know when it may go out, or where you may be when it does.
this man speaketh the truth. my oem battery was 'just a little weak' and i figured i would run it for a while longer. well, i was still 'just a little longer' after 4 months. one day i went through the drive through at the bank. shut the bike down to listen to the teller. when transaction done, went to start up, and .............. nothing.

had to call someone to come get me, pushed my bike off to the side, and ran down to the battery warehouse and picked up a yuasa equivalent of the deka etx30l. came to just over $100. is an agm battery like the original, and has a better warranty than the original.

so in a quest to push it just a little further, i ended up wasting half a day. instead of just buying the battery when i knew i needed it.

Originally Posted by sixty4nhalf
I was thinking when the time came to replace mine, I was going to replace it with a Gel Battery, I saw one on e-bay (BIKE MASTER GEL BATTERY HARLEY FLHT FLHTC FLHTCU ULTRA ELECTRA GLIDE) for $166.50
i got mine at the local battery warehouse for $100. and didn't have to wait on shipping. deka, yuasa, and the oem are all agm batteries

Last edited by skratch; 09-17-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:32 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I know this is an older thread but someone may be researching battery problems in the future and I want my experience added to their research. In June the bike will be 2 years old, no date stamp on battery. My bike would stop during occasional compression cranks. It would crank then stop momentarily and crank then start. You know after its warmed up, only did it once in awhile. Now it's doing it every time I start it up. Always been on a tender. I pulled the battery out and set it on my bench, hooked a 100 amp load tester to it until the load tester starts to smoke from the heat-up. Before the load test it was testing 13.6 volts. The meter on the load tester while testing would drift to the bad/used up zone. After releasing the load button the needle slowly drifts back over to the green. If I was to test someone else's battery I would say the battery is fine, but the 'Pause' during the compression stroke was becoming more prevalent and the 'Pause' seemed to last a few micro-seconds longer and I made the decision to replace. I've only read about the compression stroke 'Pause' once or twice before and told these beasts are high compression and a battery with a weak cell will have difficulty and get worse......that's all I've got to report. My new battery is here and I'm going to install it.

After new battery install notation: no more 'Pause' witnessed after new battery. Will monitor for future notations.

Last edited by TUCCI; 03-06-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 FLHTK battery didn't last but 2 years. The stock battery is rated at 28AH and 370CCA. I stopped by the local Batteries Plus and picked up a X2-30LA X2PowerŪ AGM Battery. It specs out at 26AH and 400CCA like the Deka. It cost $138 less the core charge. I keep it on a battery tender. I just don't have a clue why the stock OEM battery went so quick.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Though it seems to be fine now, according to this thread/other experiences, apparently I will need to replace my 2009 Ultra battery soon so I am reading with much interest... My original battery still charges to almost 14V and under load test shows almost 13V... I have noticed a slight difference in starting and it MAY be an early indicator... I am watching it...

Last edited by user_1534GD; 03-06-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Swapped mine out in the middle of the 4th riding season, always on a tender during the winter. And it still worked just a slow start here and there. Went back to OEM, at 10% discount.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement on my 2010 FLHTK