Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power of Samson

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Mickey D
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power of Samson

I took the day off work for a ride through Napa to Calistoga, CA for lunch with a few guys I work with.
I haven't ridden with these guys before and one is a new ride of a Heritage ST.
There are four bikes and I take the lead, since I arranged the ride and know the selected route through valleys of vineyards, and over a couple ridges into the Napa valley.
I notice the other three are riding quite a ways back in a staggered formation and after about a half hour, we come to a 4 way stop. I motion for the next rider to pull up and ask if everything was ok. He says, "Damn, your pipes are so loud I had to back off a ways". This is from the new rider with a stock Heritage. Well, I had him lead the group up over the ridge, since I was going to be cranking the throttle through the twisties pretty good up that ridge.
I know my pipes are loud (dual Samson 33" baffled fishtails) but never been behind my bike.
Now I'm feeling self conscience about riding in front of someone.
Nah, Pussies!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Hawkeye58
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny.
I have same setup. Love'em. I had a guy pull up along side of me at a light once, and he says "Man I could hear you a half block back, and couldn't even see ya yet, your bike sounds awesome." Sure liked hearing that.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Why would you be surprised that anyone would not choose to ride close behind you with obnoxiously loud pipes?

If they're good riding buddies, swap bikes and see what it's like riding behind your bike.

Carl

Old 07-05-2012, 11:20 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there at that age were there not old enough to have lost there hearing & not you enough that they dont care...............screw umm.
i love my pipes & my buddy has the same set up so i get to hear them all the time

Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Mickey D
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Why would you be surprised that anyone would not choose to ride close behind you with obnoxiously loud pipes?

If they're good riding buddies, swap bikes and see what it's like riding behind your bike.

Carl
Good idea Carl. Might need to do that.

The pipes were on the bike whan I bought it, and was thinking of replacing them because they are so loud.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor

Samson has a baffled version of the same pipe if you are interested.
Thank you,
JR

Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Respect the pipes...definitely a "ear-opening" experience to hear your pipes from another bike. I did this once & didn't realize how loud mine really were. Give it a try - you'll be amazed at how much volume shoots out behind the bike...:O

Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Mickey D
Road Master

Originally Posted by Samson_tech
Samson has a baffled version of the same pipe if you are interested.
Thank you,
JR
Thanks, these have baffles in them. At least I can see there is looking in the rear of the pipe.
Can't imagine what the non baffled sound like.

I was told they were Samson pipes, perhaps you can verify by this picture. There is a small screw below the end that appears to retain the baffle.

Last edited by Mickey D; 07-06-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mickey D
Thanks, these have baffles in them. At least I can see there is looking in the rear of the pipe.
Can't imagine what the non baffled sound like.

I was told they were Samson pipes, perhaps you can verify by this picture. There is a small screw below the end that appears to retain the baffle.

Although Samson did not require the small screw on pipes like these they do appear to be Samson. The mounting bracket appears to be an older Samson bracket. We make our own brackets which is one way to tell. Many companies use a generic bracket.
Thanks,
JR

Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 AM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love these pipes! A friend of mine has these and when he is opened up it is real loud (I like loud though) and when he is just cruising they are loud but not obnoxiously loud. I have also started to ride in the inside portion of the lane because of my right side exit exhaust is very loud. Hey its your bike... don't change anything on it because of what others think! I damn sure wouldn't! Nice lookin' King you have by the way!

Quick Reply: Power of Samson