Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EG riders who went to RG

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default EG riders who went to RG

would really like to limit this to handling in the wind. would really like to get honest opinions of how you think the shark nose does in head and side wind compared to bat wing. I'm an older fart and when i go out its usually for a week or two at a time. I have an UC and im fine with it until i have to spend a day with a strong side wind. That just beats the crap out of me. I've thought about a RGU and would really like your honest input on whether it helps on side wind and on head wind for that matter
thanks

Old 07-05-2012, 01:25 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Ive had a Road King Custom and a Fatboy with a windshield and a detachable batwing fairing. i also ride with a few guys that have SGs. Im the only Road Glide in our group. i live in the high desert area of So Cal and we get some pretty good wind up here, usual afternoon stuff in alot of areas is 15- 40 mph.

IMO the Road Glide is the most stable bike HD makes in winds. I come over the same area on the 14 fwy with my friends and I see them 2 hands on the bars and the bike is slightly drifting in the lane with the gusts, Im running same speed, same line and no movement, no feeling like the bike is going to drift. Overall when I used to tighten up the grip on the bars or slow it down slightly now on my RG Im cruising 1 handed in the wind.

But the downside to the RG is a lot of riders can not get the right Windshield set up for them. The distance between the fairing and rider makes getting clean air (no buffeting) a little harder than on the batwing

Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM
madmustang4
Tourer

Xaran
when you pass 18 wheelers do you feel a benefit on the RG?

On the windsheild issue, do you have the RG custom. Is that where you're making refernce to the clean wind issue, or do you have the RGU?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the RG is rock solid. Just need to get the right windshield and you will love it.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:35 PM
madmustang4
Tourer

stash,
you look like you have a custom with a taller windshield? What size is yours?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I have had both,but went back to the batwing. The RG is lighter feeling at slow parking lot speeds. As far as being more stable out on the road,I don't think there is that much difference. Both bikes do great on the highway,be it headwind or crosswind. I like the looks of RGs,I just had terrible wind buffeting. I tried several ws,lowers,and deflectors.

Could never solve the issue. I did notice it was better wearing no helmet,but of course I live in a helmet state. So that wasn't an option.

Everybody is different,but very few ever go back to a batwing after they have had a RG. Don't take my word for it,ride one and see for yourself. I've been told I'm crazy anyway.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Latraveler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from an 07 Electraglide to a 12 Roadglide Custom and I think that it was a major improvement. The bike is stable as a rock in head and side winds and isn't bothered by backwash from eighteen wheelers. I do have a little buffeting with the 12" Windsplitter that came on the bike. I have a Windvest shield on order and hope that this cures the problem. Overall the bike is great.

Roger

Old 07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I rode a batwing for 10 years , on road trips in windy days I had to stay 65 mph or slower or it would beat me to death , on the Road Glide I ridden in similar conditions at 75 mph one handed and gotten off the bike feeling fine , shield selection is critcal and I've had great results with windvest

Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

i've been on rides before that when we arrived at our destination, the batwing guys were complaining about how 'bad the wind was'. i hadn't noticed it...

Old 07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had three Road Glides, an 06 an 09 and an 11 ultra. I just bought a 2012 Electra Glide Ultra. Ride it at 80 mph all day long and I don't see any difference between the shark or bat wing. Behind trucks the bars shake VERY little. Behind trucks on the shark my helmet shakes with the turbulence. Finding the right windshield for the shark was a bear. Steering is a little lighter on the shark. Riding the bat wing puts a smile on my face. It says "Harley"

Last edited by g money; 07-05-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: EG riders who went to RG