Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS bearing Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 PM
streeter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IDS bearing Failure

Well, today I started to change my tires (E3 with 24K still tread left but cupped badly) and much to my surprise I found the IDS bearing has failed. The inner races of this bearing move close to .100, which caused the sprocket to move inwards and rub on the bowl. What is interesting is that the sprocket must rotate approx a half an inch under power. This is evident by the wear marks on the back of the sprocket as it contacts the bowl. Trying to move the sprocket by hand shows no movement and the rubber blocks look good. Anyhow, this bearing made no noise whatsoever and I blame it on those damn long lasting E3 tires for not finding it sooner lol. New bearing and rubber blocks should put it back on the road.

Ride Safe!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 AM
mccstevie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same bearing on my 08 Ultra failed with less than 14000 miles on it. Only noticed it because I could hear the ***** rattling while pulling in my garage.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by streeter
The inner races of this bearing move close to .100, which caused the sprocket to move inwards and rub on the bowl.
I wonder if there's a spec on the bearing. I'm at almost 20k on my current E3 and it'll be due for replacement in about 2k, so I'll inspect the bearing at that time like I always do. I'll also look at the hub more closely, as I haven't paid any attention to it in the past except for the condition of the rubber bumpers. My gauge for a healthy bearing has always been no movement in the sprocket when fully assembled and no noise from the bearing. I always back out of my garage with engine off for that purpose, and I've never heard anything. Mine has always shown some movement in the lower race, but although I've never put a dial indicator on it I'm sure it wasn't anywhere near .100", which sounds very loose.

This subject makes me paranoid but I haven't seen or heard any indication that my current bearing is in any way bad or failing, so I just keep on truckin' along with it. You know, "If it ain't broke...." It's now at 45k since installing IDS almost five years ago.

Originally Posted by mccstevie
The same bearing on my 08 Ultra failed with less than 14000 miles on it. Only noticed it because I could hear the ***** rattling while pulling in my garage.
Since IDS was an accessory for the '07 there's nothing about them in my service manual. Yours was standard in your '08, so if you have a manual could you look and see if HD provides any guidance for checking the bearing?

Last edited by iclick; 07-05-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 PM
mccstevie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked my service manual and found nothing on checking this particular bearing. There is a section on replacing it but the only thing they say about checking it is that you cant check its condition by spinning it, saying that since it is a split race bearing,it will feel rough if it is good or bad. This must have been a bad set-up from the get-go since replacement bearing I bought was a different design from what I took out.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mccstevie
Checked my service manual and found nothing on checking this particular bearing. There is a section on replacing it but the only thing they say about checking it is that you cant check its condition by spinning it, saying that since it is a split race bearing,it will feel rough if it is good or bad. This must have been a bad set-up from the get-go since replacement bearing I bought was a different design from what I took out.
I don't recall mine feeling particularly rough, but there was a slight amount of slop in it every time I've checked it, but not as much as Streeter reported with his. I would assume some looseness is normal considering its design.

Maybe being different is a good sign that the new one is better. I've always thought that the failures reported with '07's was because of faulty installation, but who knows. Some seem to last (like mine) and some not. IIRC the design of yours is the same except that you have a 25mm axle diameter and mine is 1.0", thus the bearing isn't interchangeable. From '09> the hub was integral to the wheel but I don't know what the bearing configuration is. I assume the axles are still 25mm.

Last edited by iclick; 07-05-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

I replaced the pulley bearings at the same time as I replaced my wheel bearings in my 09 RK. They weren't bad, just did it for piece of mind. Btw, in my pulley, I found that it is 2 bearings pushed into the same spot. Thought it was odd, but that was the waymy manual showed it and the way it came apart. So, if you don't have abs, order 6 wheel bearings and if you do, order 4 standard wheel bearings and 2 abs bearings.

Chris

Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found that it is 2 bearings pushed into the same spot.
def if the space can take two...stick them in there...

Old 07-06-2012, 08:58 AM
streeter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by iclick
I wonder if there's a spec on the bearing. I'm at almost 20k on my current E3 and it'll be due for replacement in about 2k, so I'll inspect the bearing at that time like I always do. I'll also look at the hub more closely, as I haven't paid any attention to it in the past except for the condition of the rubber bumpers. My gauge for a healthy bearing has always been no movement in the sprocket when fully assembled and no noise from the bearing. I always back out of my garage with engine off for that purpose, and I've never heard anything. Mine has always shown some movement in the lower race, but although I've never put a dial indicator on it I'm sure it wasn't anywhere near .100", which sounds very loose.

This subject makes me paranoid but I haven't seen or heard any indication that my current bearing is in any way bad or failing, so I just keep on truckin' along with it. You know, "If it ain't broke...." It's now at 45k since installing IDS almost five years ago.

Since IDS was an accessory for the '07 there's nothing about them in my service manual. Yours was standard in your '08, so if you have a manual could you look and see if HD provides any guidance for checking the bearing?
I would think that if you grab the sprocket at the 12 and 6 O'clock position and check the axial play, this should give you an idea of the bearing condition as well. On a side note those E3's are very deceiving as far as wear. Tread depth is not a concern its the cupping and flatness of the tire that dictate replacement, which will be evident once you install the new tires. Huge difference, overall still a great tire.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 AM
streeter
Cruiser

BTW, those of you that have the 07 IDS kit......that bearing is back ordered at the Mother Ship and from what I understand has always been a problem as far as availability. so if your local dealer has one, grab it and have it on hand.