Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foam ear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:36 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Foam ear plugs

I buy them by the big box of 200 and use them all the time unless it's a short hop around town. When I rode the first time with my brother-in-law, he'd never used ear plugs. I gave him a pair to wear and he loved them. He wears them all the time now when he rides.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:45 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks to this message, I will start using ear plugs today. I am use to wearing them from working in aircraft factories. The only place other than the factory that I have used them is on airplane trips, to muffle the constant noise.
Tom

Old 01-15-2007, 01:15 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're especially useful if you ride in a group behind someone whosescoot is loud(er)than yours! [:@]

Old 01-15-2007, 01:29 PM
ezglider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at a bike show a couple weekends back chatting with a buddy as we walked by the custom-fit ear plug booth. We stopped to have a look and startedtalking about ear plugs on the road. I took a trip with him last summer and for the most part I wore my half helmet and he wore a full-face with ear plugs (he said the whistling he hears while riding with a full-face helmet drives him nuts). I was saying I wasn't interested in ear plugs because on this trip I had no problems with the wind or my hearing. A guy overheard us and came to chat. He told us of his buddy who he rides with all the time and the major problems he's having with his hearing now because he never wore earplugs.

It may not seem like it's doing any harm but hearing loss ispermanent and I don't want to take that chance.This will be the first season I'll be wearing earplugs soon as this crap weather clears and I can actually get my ride back on the road. Good to know that it doesn't affect your listening to music and other important sounds.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:21 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hearing loss sucks, wear the plugs. My hearing aids cost me $3800, that would've bought alot of bling for the ride.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

sure helps that high speed wind noise
my wife tried them in her nostrils after a lunch of bean burritos
[sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 01-15-2007, 08:29 PM
nscrbug
Cruiser

I started wearing earplugs when I did my first Ironbutt ride 2 years ago...now I won't ride without them and wish I had started wearing them much sooner. I started with the foam plugs, but moved up to a custom molded pair, and I'm glad I did. They cost $60, fit me perfectly every time,are flesh-colored so they blend in and don't look goofy, and after having mastered the 'art' of putting them in, I can pop them in my ears in less than 10 seconds...no fiddling around with the foam to make it seal properly. Oh...and they pretty much will last forever, too.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:39 PM
BaD
Novice

Thanks Guys..
We got a bunch of those foam ear plugs at work, I am gona give it a shot.
I am anew rider that has always had a tiny ringing in my ears. I am used to the tiny ringing sound, it lets me know im still alive... but Id prefer if the ringing didnt get louder.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:12 PM
mjh
Tourer

You bet! I wear foam plugs almost all thime. I may not take the time to put them in if I'm going down the street for gas, but certainly do use them when riding at all other times.I use a 3/4 and 1/2 helmet and the plugs cut out the wind noise, which I think is the most dagerous to long term hearing. I still can hear important sounds like sirens, horns, etc. The plugs block out some minor sounds associated with the bike, like the brake pads on frontrotors when braking.Every so offen I do a check ridewithout plugsto see if any new orunknown noises, squeaks, etc., are present.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I am a Hearing aid Fitter/Dispenser licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I work with the hearing impaired on a dailey basis. I see many truck drivers and cyclists that have lost some of their ability to hearat what is considered a normal leveldue to road and wind noise. I can't stress enough, the importance of protecting your hearing while riding and for that matter whenever you are exposed to a higher decibel level.
Foam plugs certainly will offer protection but I prefer custom made plugs with filters. The plugs are custom made to fit in your ear canal and will last a long time. They will cost about $30 or $40 and can be purshased at any hearing aid retailer. An impression of your ear is required and while you are there you can get a hearing test to see if you have aquired a loss at this point. Most hearing aid professionals will administer the hearing exam free of charge. Some of these retailers are Miracle ear, HearX, etc.
Custom plugs will be cheaper in the long run because you don't throw them away and as a bonus, they perform better. They filter noise to an acceptable DB level and allow you to hear the things that keep you safe on the road.

Frank

Quick Reply: Foam ear plugs