Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foam ear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:35 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Foam ear plugs

ORIGINAL: scarnay

Bought a 4 pack on clearance at walmart for .25 cents but never tried them. I thought they might impair my hearing of important things I need to hear. I'll give'm a try.
On the contrary, riding without earplugs candamage your hearing if you ride a lot. I've been wearing earplugs for at least 15 years. I think you can hear important things better without all the wind noise.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:37 PM
jward2331
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the "tripple" flange type at work. I have about 6 pairs I keep on my bike. They are better because they are the soft rubber kind and you can clean them in warm soapy water. They last forever too. My hearing is shot already from all those 8 tracks I used to listen to... Actually 30 years around aircraft, loud concerts and riding did a lot of damage already. I usually gross the women out by popping them in my mouth to get them moist for a better seal.....

John

Old 01-14-2007, 11:54 PM
ace57
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, I'mwith the rest of you, I buy boxes of them from Lowes, I think 100 pair for 14 bucks, and use them quite often. I keep a little tin of them in my saddlebag. Much better with them, and I can still hear everything. Yes, the wind noise is what'll get cha. Constant noise...
tinitus sux, can be a major problem.

ace57
'06 FLHRS "mattie"

Old 01-15-2007, 12:01 AM
captainhawg
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are supplied all kinds of hearing protection at work, so I use the foam type when riding. The kind withthe string attached are best for me, so I don't lose one.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:21 AM
dynaglider
Tourer

Both the foam ear plugs and the custom fit latex plugs that I use for shooting make me feel like I'm underwater on my bike. So I don't use them when I ride.I have stock pipes on my 06 Dyna so I don't need the roar from the bike to be blocked out. (I think I would feel funny having loud after-market pipes AND wearing ear plugs.) The first time I rode without a helmet, I thoughtthe wind would be way tooloud, but I soon grew to like it.My helmet, a Scorpion full-face, caused a surprising amount ofbuffeting and an echo-y howl, especially at higher speeds. Without the helmet,Iam left with a rather peaceful flowing sound. I recently bought a windshield for the Dyna and then found that I didn't like that either. I guess I just like the wind. I do pay attention to my hearing and have not noticed any problem, at least not yet. But I'm old enough that I'll be able to blame any hearing loss on my advanced age.What was that you said, Sonny?

Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are part of my ATGATT. I use the foam ones that are attached to a length of plastic line. When I get off the bike I wrap the plugs around the hand grip so they're always there when it's time to go. Others think it's dangerous because you can't hear what's going on around you but that's a fallacy.

I've tried the mushroom shaped ones but a 3/4 or full face helmetpushes on the "stems" which is uncomfortable. I think some of the custom fit jobs have the stems for inserting and removing them.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:34 AM
Rambler
Tourer

I have the custom made type. Use them anytime I ride with a half helmet. Actually makes everything sound better

Old 01-15-2007, 03:51 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

WHAT DID YOU GUYS JUST SAY?????

I failed the hearing tests when I left the military (you listen to static for 5 years at loud levels, trying to intercept druggie transmissions!) When I'm shooting I double bag it, got the foam plugs as well as the big cans. I try to remember them when I'm riding, but typically forget. I need to get more on the ball with that too, the foam plugs work great, and are cheap!

Old 01-15-2007, 11:55 AM
chesterbud
Cruiser

You guys make a good point about the hearing protection. I wear electronic cutoff headsets at the shooting club but never wear protection on the bike. I have been basically deaf in one ear for 20 years. Finally got a hearing aid a couple of years ago. I was always concerned about cutting out important road noise if I wore pugs on the bike. I'll give it a try!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

The Howard Leight Max plugs are the best available, with the highest available rating of 33 dB NRR, and they are inexpensive. I get them in boxes of 200 pair at this online dealer:

http://www.omarksafety.com/category....200_Pr_Box.cfm

But there is an even less expensive source i haven't tried out yet:
http://www.sharpesafety.com/catalog/...ay.php3?ID=110

The ones to get are the Max uncorded version.

Remember that hearing loss produced by excess sound pressure level, is both cummulative and permanent.

Quick Reply: Foam ear plugs