Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foam ear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Foam ear plugs

Been using them ever since Istarted usinga half helmet. No need if you use a 3/4 or full face.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:57 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been using them for years. Got so I just couldn't stand that wind roar from the helmet.

Custom molded cost a lot but are great for short hops and around town. The foam ones cut out more sound are are great for trips.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I never ride more than a block without them, NEVER. Even if it's just around town 'cause I can't stand the valvetrain noise on my RK.
I have a pair of vented custom earplugs that I wore just the once. Couldn't stand them. I am going to have them sealed to see if that makes a diff.
I also have a non-vented custom pair for work, but I'm not sure they seal well enough to not annoy me on a ride.

I have no idea how anyone can ride without earplugs, especially at highway velocities. They greatly reduce fatigue by the end of the day on long rides.
I don't even want to think about what hearing damage is being done not wearing them.
I have spent my whole working life wearing hearing protection so wearing it is just second nature to me, but I can see that using them may seem a bit alien to someone unaccustomed to them. Try 'em for awhile. The foamies come in different shapes depending on the brand. Try a few different ones 'til you find ones you like.

CN

Old 01-14-2007, 04:38 PM
GhostBagger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PARDON, could you please repeat the question, I didn't quitehear youfirst time.

GhostBagger.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:39 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have a few times but, usually forget them, I will use them more this year

Old 01-14-2007, 04:52 PM
oley55
Road Captain

OK, can not say why, but I have been stupid lately by not wearing good ear protection. I vividly remember, my first cross country in 1970 (Clearwater, FL to Erie, PA on a Honda CB 350). spent the night in aDays Inn somewhere in Tenn and my ears were ringing so bad I couldn't sleep.Being an Air Traffic Contoller I have always been real careful about my hearing. Especially, since my dearly departed dad was almost deaf from working in a railraod car company (Greenville Steel Car) for too many years. When shooting I always wear foam plugs insidemy Mickey Mouse muffs.

Some really great input from the above posts. Around town we're probably OK, but an extended run demands the commonseical use of foam plugs or something.

Great post and discussion! I love this site and forum.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:34 PM
01Ultra
Cruiser

I agree this is a good post sometime we take for granted our ears and how much damage we can do to them. I use MAX pre-shaped foam earplugs they are orange colored and fit in the ear canal real well so you can wear them all day without any discomfort. believe they cut noise by 33 db. Highest rated reusable ear plugs.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:06 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer

It's good to seeI'm not the only one who uses ear plugs; some of the guys I ride withlook at me like I'm crazy when they see me putting them in. I like to hear a little rumble as well as the next peson, but not at the expense of loseing my hearing. I had Harley touring pipes installed on my Road King(felt they were to quiet) then set of Harley S.E. two piece performance mufflersand they sound like a set of jack hammers on the open road; I'll probably have the touring pipes reinstalled. I like the sound of the V & H basic slip ons and the ovals, but they'll probably end up being to loud as well.
I have ringing in my ears like some of you and agree with getting a set of fitted ear plugs from an ENT; they're very comfortable after you get the hang of using them.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 PM
curmudgeon
Cruiser

Ringing in the ear is called tinitus. I've got it and to make it bearable, I got a hearing aid. My audiologist told me that it will work in 70% of the cases.
Foam ear plugs: $0.25 Oticon Delta hearing aid; $2,200

Oh, I forgot, Harley riders are bullit proof. Never mind.

Maybe I should start a new thread. "What kind of hearing aid do you have?"

Old 01-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I wear mine when it's cold or on long trips. I'm a firm believer that the constant wind in your ears is as bad for your hearing as loud noises. I've been riding for 43 years and have a noticeable hearing loss. I wear foam plugs to cut my lawn now. The funny thing about riding with them is that I tend to drive faster because it changes the noise level of the bike. I can actually hear my radio better with the plugs in than I can without them.

Quick Reply: Foam ear plugs