Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Pipes and the Warranty .... What does

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Canedog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Pipes and the Warranty .... What does

Adding a set of after maket pipes like Rienharts do to the warranty. A buddy of mine has a 06 Road Glide and one dealer said it would void the warranty if he went with anything other than Screaming Eagle Pipes. I got a 07 SG and been looking at changing out to RH or VH. But don't want to can the warranty and a year from now the motor or tranny go south for some crazy reason and I be stuck.

Any one got Facts on this.
DOG

Old 01-14-2007, 02:32 AM
BadAzz Electraglide
Tourer
Default RE: Adding Pipes and the Warranty .... What does

I asked this same question awhile back and found that it mostly depends on the dealer. Some say not to some will put the stuff on for you. My brother is in the same boat as you. He has an 07' SG and his dealer says the same thing, and it is actually listed in the fine print of his warranty. Wish ya the best of luck.

Bobby

Old 01-14-2007, 02:53 AM
blueson2s
Intermediate

If you are under warranty and install aftermarket pipes you are OK as long as a failure cannot be proven to be related. So, if you do a Stage I with new pipes and your electrical system or suspension goes South you would be covered. If you fried the engine because it was running too lean and they could prove it was related to a your Stage I install you could be in trouble.

Having said that, there is still a lot of confusion on this issue and the info will vary from dealer to dealer, but you would have a strong legal case if they didn't honor you're warranty for failure unrelated to your mods.

As a side note, if you don't want to shell out $400-$600 for every scheduled maintenance (while you're still under warranty), and you are comfortable and competent with working on your own bike, your warranty will be honored IF you use Harley products (oil, fluids, plugs, etc.) and save all reciepts.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:59 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Someone on here did a post with the correct answer to this and had an actual legal doc stating the rights of us after market shoppers. I will try to find the post and link it up in the mean time try to search it too.
ORIGINAL: Canedog

Adding a set of after maket pipes like Rienharts do to the warranty. A buddy of mine has a 06 Road Glide and one dealer said it would void the warranty if he went with anything other than Screaming Eagle Pipes. I got a 07 SG and been looking at changing out to RH or VH. But don't want to can the warranty and a year from now the motor or tranny go south for some crazy reason and I be stuck.

DOG

Old 01-14-2007, 06:01 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

Here it is
https://www.hdforums.com/m_76699/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_85511/tm.htm
ORIGINAL: tgaetto

Someone on here did a post with the correct answer to this and had an actual legal doc stating the rights of us after market shoppers. I will try to find the post and link it up in the mean time try to search it too.
ORIGINAL: Canedog

DOG

Old 01-14-2007, 11:34 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: tgaetto

The down side is they know they have you over the barrel, sure one could sue them for not honoring the warranty. I don't think there are many people that would have the stones to stand up in court and admit they violated a Federal Law,I'm sure to do so would subject one to more out of pocket than what the bike repair bill would be.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:45 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Just keep you original exhaust set, if something happens.
put them back on... Done Deal...

Old 01-14-2007, 11:59 AM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my local dealer tell me the same thing. Then I had a dealer about 60 miles from home home tell me that it is all dependant on the dealer handling your warranty claim. This dealersaid that it's in the way they write up the claim. I'd say shop around for the right dealer before you go shopping for after market products.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:15 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

I had some work done at one dealer a while back and they told me that they would honor any issues resulting from work they did.

It is all who you deal with just like any other place....

Old 01-15-2007, 08:29 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master

I am having V&H duals,Ovals, and SE A/Cput on my bike. Dealer told me to use the Fuel Pak (his recomemdation), PCIII or SERT. He said that there were some MAPS that they could download bu if they do, they have to submit the bike VIN number and in some cases that could cause the warranty to be voided for some failures. He said if you use one of the three things above, the MAP doesn't change and the factory doesn't know it was done. That way the warranty would be honored, he did say he couldn't guarantee that another shop somewhere else would honor it.

Quick Reply: Adding Pipes and the Warranty .... What does