Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I just get porked?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012 | 10:31 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

Sounds right to me for a dealership

Old 07-05-2012 | 10:46 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

JMO, but anyone that pays $150 for a download and then also pays 1/2 hr to actually do the download, truely is 'getting porked', and big-time.
That notwithstanding, HD's charging $150 for a 30 second computer download is the very definition of 'getting porked'.
Again, JMO.

Old 07-05-2012 | 10:50 AM
dondee
Tourer

As stated differently before, exactly what does "Stage 1" mean? It means different things to different guys, and dealers for that matter but there's no one standard definition. A lot of guys use it to mean an open air cleaner of some sort, but some guys use it to describe the dealer download-which by the way, does nothing for fuel enrichment. Others, myself included, use it more often to describe the whole Stage 1 treatment- A/C, download and slipons of some kind.

The term gets thrown around a lot, with no real standard meaning.

Old 07-05-2012 | 10:54 AM
buggin02
Road Captain
Cool

Originally Posted by buffettphan
Just picked up my bike after its 20,000 mile check, new sneaks and a few mi or adjustments. All covered by me pre paid maintenance so all good there. I decided to have them instal a stage one kit to open things up a bit. Was told $150.00. Get the invoice and it turned into $379.00. $140.00 for the Stage one, $150.00 for the digital download and $90.00 labor. I'm not even sure they put in a new air cleaner!!!!!
You went to the dealer so by default "you got porked". You could have purchased the Stage 1 a/c off the internet for around $100 and then installed it yourself if you can read directions and have some basic hand tools. The download is a waste of money as previously mentioned. Live and learn.

Old 07-05-2012 | 07:04 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

Originally Posted by buggin02
You went to the dealer so by default "you got porked". You could have purchased the Stage 1 a/c off the internet for around $100 and then installed it yourself if you can read directions and have some basic hand tools. The download is a waste of money as previously mentioned. Live and learn.
The download adjusts the timing, raises the rev limiter and ensures correct AFV. Those that don't do it with a intake and exhaust are fooling themselves. The computer will only adjust in a certain range. Penny smart and dollar foolish. Don't second guess. $240 is not breaking the bank. If it is, you got the wrong bike.

Old 07-05-2012 | 08:17 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member

That's going to be the going rate. $140 for stage I air cleaner, $150 for the software download, and it would probably take an hour to do both from the time your bike is moved into the shop and out. Remember the tech is paid around $26 an hour. The dealer gets the other $64 to pay for that big fancy building they're using.

Old 07-05-2012 | 08:43 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member

That's going to be the going rate. $140 for stage I air cleaner, $150 for the software download, and it would probably take an hour to do both from the time your bike is moved into the shop and out. Remember the tech is paid around $26 an hour. The dealer gets the other $64 to pay for that big fancy building they're using.

Old 07-06-2012 | 08:45 AM
buggin02
Road Captain

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
The download adjusts the timing, raises the rev limiter and ensures correct AFV. Those that don't do it with a intake and exhaust are fooling themselves. The computer will only adjust in a certain range. Penny smart and dollar foolish. Don't second guess. $240 is not breaking the bank. If it is, you got the wrong bike.
I had a bone stock 2003 RKC. Put it on the dyno at my brothers shop, and did a stock run. Then added a Stage 1 a/c & a pair of slip-ons and ran it again. The AFR didn't change. Probably because the MAF just adjusted for the higher volume of air coming in. It had no hiccups on acceleration and no pops or backfire on decel, so why would I have needed the adjusted timing?
The download does indeed raise the rev limiter. It raises the rev limt from the stock 5500 rpm up to 6200 rpm. Do you spend a lot of time above 5500 rpm? If so then that extra 700 rpms is worth having.
You are correct in saying the computer will only adjust with a certain range but that range is dictated by the O2 sensors not the computer. This is borne out by the fact that you can by Xied's which just fool the computer into thinking the bike is running to lean so it dumps more fuel in.

For the $240 you spend on a download that keeps you within EPA standards you can just buy a fuel tuner, tune it yourself and actually have a bike that runs good.

Based on these facts, I stand by my original statement. I will add that if you do not have the knowledge, time or motivation to do these things yourself, then you should definitely have the dealership or an Indy that you trust do the work.

Old 07-06-2012 | 08:56 AM
t059736
Road Captain

Texas Fat Boy got it right.
If they quoted you what the final price first - you probably wouldn't have done it and MIGHT have looked at other options.
Spur of the moment decisions can be quite costly; as you found out, especially when dealing with a STEALERSHIP.
Someimes it's better to ask this group of guys first, than trusting your own judgement.

Ride In Peace

Old 07-06-2012 | 09:00 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior

Bud, you went to the dealer, what did you expect?

DIY and you can only blame yourself.

Quick Reply: Did I just get porked?