Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got a comfortable helmet!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Silverback2011
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally got a comfortable helmet!

After many different helmets not fitting properly and giving me headaches I figured out that I have what is called a long oval shaped head and most helmets are more round shaped.
Through searches on this forum I figured I would try a Super Seer S1602 Model "shorty helmet", it arrived on Friday and I tried it out today and it is the best fitting helmet I have ever worn.
I e-mailed Seer with some questions before I ordered and they were very helpful in the selection of the proper size helmet. They are not the cheapest helmet but to me they are worth every penny.
Here is a picture of what I got from their web site.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

What style did you get on the inside of the helmet. Went to their website, by far the most informative that I've ever seen. Let us know how it feels after wearing it a while.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I wear their helmet at work. I have the foam pads on the inside. For a DOT it is extremely comfortable. Fairly light in weight, but, it is still large. Overall an excellent helmet!!

Neil
RDMC

Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Great choice! I have the foam Z pads in mine and it is absolutely the most comfortable helmet I have.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
motorlessons
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Seer 3/4. I'm lucky enough to live about 20 miles from Seer, so I went up and Kevin there showed me through the entire manufacturing process. It's nice to see not only the quality that goes into something so important, but the jobs right here in the US (and Colorado) that are created by the manufacturing. The helmet shells are produced in a plant near Greeley, CO, and the helmets are painted, completed and assembled in Evergreen, CO. Seer prices aren't cheap, but neither are their products. In this case you definitely get what you pay for. They also offer the ability to color match your helmet to the paint color/s of your H-D. Since your helmet is made to your order, lead time can be a while, so don't expect to call today and get a helmet tomorrow. Mine was about 6 weeks, and I think that's normal.

If you look for the DOT test results for the relatively few helmets that get tested, you'll see that Seer never has a failure (The results in this link are only through 2008, but it's the most recent I could find).

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/

Many companies do have failures (including some you wouldn't expect). This is because companies can (and do) say their helmet is DOT compliant, and until/unless theirs get selected for an actual test the customer has no way of knowing.

At Seer I saw their on site testing facility, where they actually run helmets through the standards. Because they legitimately test their products, to the standards required, they know they won't have a helmet fail the DOT testing.

Seer's primary market is law enforcement. Comfort is a huge issue for people wearing a helmet all day long, day after day.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youutbe.com/conedown

Last edited by motorlessons; 07-03-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Silverback2011
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brandss
What style did you get on the inside of the helmet. Went to their website, by far the most informative that I've ever seen. Let us know how it feels after wearing it a while.
I got the number 2. Cushion Pad Interior, I wore it for about 1.5 hours on Monday and it was excellent, I could even feel the air coming through the vents.
Here is the stuff from the web site:

2. Cushion Pad Interior

The helmet sits on the head with 4 "L" shaped foam pads and one round pad on the top. The interior of the helmet is substantially open allowing superior cooling underneath the helmet. The helmet comes with a complete set of pads in 2 different thickness 1/4" & 3/8". Pads are held in with Velcro® and are easily replaced to accommodate sizing. The Cushion Pad Interior is comfortable yet cool.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wish to know what helmets were UNCOMFORTABLE so I can compare if your head is like mine.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Silverback2011
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
I wish to know what helmets were UNCOMFORTABLE so I can compare if your head is like mine.
The last POS helmet I bought is a HJC CS-2N, I bought a XXL and it was still too tight front to back so I reworked the liner with a ball pein hammer and it fit better but still gave me a headache after a short while.
The Seer helmet I bought is a large, the profile is not as small as the absolute minimum sized DOT helmets you can buy but it is way better than the HJC.
Also because it didn't sit right on my head I looked like this with the HJC on:

Last edited by Silverback2011; 07-04-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Adding Information
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM
S1dewinder
Cruiser

I too have the long oval egg shaped head. For full face I have always had Arai helmets, they make one just for my shape (signet, quantum, can't ever remember) and the fit has always been perfect. The Arai is a nice helmet. But I don't remember coming across a dot 1/2 helmet that ever fit correctly. I have a hjc at the moment, horrible fit when I first got it. So I removed the liner and went to work on the styrofoam with the handle end of a screwdriver and 20 minutes later I had a really sweet fitting helmet. I just pecked at both the front and the rear where the tight spots were, tried to keep the "modification" equal. I don't believe I did any damage or reduced the effectiveness of the helmet as I didn't compress the foam too much, and now the fit is so nice. Besides, how effective is a helmet that gets left on the shelf because it's too painful to wear?

Good to know about Seer though, that's a new on for me. I'll definitely be checking them out, I will pay extra for the made in USA label. I'm in Brighton so this company is right up the road from me. Double bonus!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverback2011
After many different helmets not fitting properly and giving me headaches I figured out that I have what is called a long oval shaped head and most helmets are more round shaped.
Through searches on this forum I figured I would try a Super Seer S1602 Model "shorty helmet", it arrived on Friday and I tried it out today and it is the best fitting helmet I have ever worn.
I e-mailed Seer with some questions before I ordered and they were very helpful in the selection of the proper size helmet. They are not the cheapest helmet but to me they are worth every penny.
Here is a picture of what I got from their web site.

DO you get more or less wind buffeting on the seer helmet. I have 4 or 5 helmets and they all respond differently to the wind.

Quick Reply: Finally got a comfortable helmet!