Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king ...or is it just me

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012 | 06:47 AM
larry harding
|
Advanced
Default road king ...or is it just me

i've been riding for nearly 50 years, i'm 5'10" and 185 lbs so i'm no wimp. in 05 i bought a new road king, my first touring bike after riding a 76 superglide for 29 years. i love the way this bike ride out on the hiway, but in a parking lot it is the most terrifing thing i've ever been on. first it is a hand full to get off the side stand. i knew it is a heavier bike than i was used to, but what really bothers me is if it gets more than a few degrees from from straight up, it is going to the ground. the seating position is so high my feet can barely sit flat on the ground in a level place. yesterday the boss lady and i were making a left turn to get on the blue ridge parkway. the road was slanted down hill to my left, a car suddenly came around a curve into view. i had to stop and the bike started to lean left, by the time my left foot touched the ground it was too late, down on the crash bar we went. she bruised her knee in the process and will never let me live it down. it was all we could do to right the bike up again. i have a knuckle head and a 47 indian both have a lower center of gravity and feel like minibikes compared to the road king. why does harley build these with such a high center of gravity? i once heard someone say "the japs must think all americans are 6"4" the way they put the seating position" i think harley has the same idea. i really want to keep this bike but this is getting dangerous. there have been other instances where the bikg got a little leaned to the side and there was no stopping it from falling after a certain point.

Old 07-02-2012 | 07:23 AM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by larry harding
i've been riding for nearly 50 years, i'm 5'10" and 185 lbs so i'm no wimp. in 05 i bought a new road king, my first touring bike after riding a 76 superglide for 29 years. i love the way this bike ride out on the hiway, but in a parking lot it is the most terrifing thing i've ever been on. first it is a hand full to get off the side stand. i knew it is a heavier bike than i was used to, but what really bothers me is if it gets more than a few degrees from from straight up, it is going to the ground. the seating position is so high my feet can barely sit flat on the ground in a level place. yesterday the boss lady and i were making a left turn to get on the blue ridge parkway. the road was slanted down hill to my left, a car suddenly came around a curve into view. i had to stop and the bike started to lean left, by the time my left foot touched the ground it was too late, down on the crash bar we went. she bruised her knee in the process and will never let me live it down. it was all we could do to right the bike up again. i have a knuckle head and a 47 indian both have a lower center of gravity and feel like minibikes compared to the road king. why does harley build these with such a high center of gravity? i once heard someone say "the japs must think all americans are 6"4" the way they put the seating position" i think harley has the same idea. i really want to keep this bike but this is getting dangerous. there have been other instances where the bikg got a little leaned to the side and there was no stopping it from falling after a certain point.
Let me start by saying I am the same size as you and I had an 05 RK as well. Maneuvering a touring bike does take getting use to. I am not sure sure what seat you have but I had the sundowner and had no problem with my feet firmly planted on the ground.

You could change your seat, or have your existing seat modified. You could also consider lowering your bike a little.

I was very comfortable with the RK and it is a great bike. I now have an UC and I am very comfortable riding that as well. I suggest practicing solo in parking lot until you develop a better comfort zone. There is also a DVD I think it is called Riding like a pro that may help you get more comfortable with the touring bike.

Good Luck.

Old 07-02-2012 | 07:35 AM
Pagan48
Road Warrior

I had a Heritage Softail for many years, sold it to help the kids with college and couldn't do without a bike so bought a Sportster. Traded that for a Road King Classic in March. Took some getting used to at slow speeds but practiced a lot and now I'm fine with it. I am a bit taller than you at 6'. Mean City Cycles can modifiy your seat for ~$100 and it will lower you and narrow the front which will put your feet more firmly on the ground.

Old 07-02-2012 | 07:42 AM
MattInFla
Road Master

A seat change will get you closer to the ground, and that will help with keeping it upright when at a stop.

The Ride Like a Pro video would also be an excellent investment (or go to one of the classes if there is one nearby). Jerry Paladino's wife is much smaller than you are, and trust me she can toss that Road King around like a child's toy. It's all about technique and making the bike do the work for you at low speed.

Old 07-02-2012 | 08:22 AM
deanp1964
Road Master

get a lower seat and maybe drop the rear 1 or 2 inches.
i'm 6'2" 220 lbs and pretty fricking strong to be blunt and until I could plant feet flat with at least a little bend in my knees, I wasn't real comfortable on my first Touring frame either.

try to test some seats somehow if you can - they're a critical investment, but they're pricey too

Old 07-02-2012 | 10:02 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

If you're not getting your feet firmly on the ground then yeah that's going to be disconcerting for sure. You're not short, but maybe your legs are a bit short for your height?I'm the same height as you but heavier. I've had no trouble with my RK but maybe my legs are longer. I have the stock 2-up seat on my bike most of the time lately, but do have a Corbin Hollywood Solo that I mount on it when I want that look. That Corbin does put me noticeably lower and a bit further back.

In any case try another seat that puts you down lower and you can of course lower the bike a bit too. Gotta get those feet planted to be safe.

Old 07-02-2012 | 11:19 AM
Climb14er
Tourer

I'm 5-9, solid 172, 31 inch inseam, been riding for forty years and have found my 2011 RKC to be one of the most stable, secure riding and well designed bikes for balance and low center of gravity... that I've ever ridden!

Old 07-02-2012 | 12:29 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

+2 on the Ride Like a Pro video! It is great on low speed maneuvering techniques with these bikes. After you hear what they have to say and practice the techniques for a bit, you will be much more confident in handling your RK. Start without your "boss" 2-up, then add her back when you develop some skills with these handling "tricks."

Don't give up on it. It's a great bike. It's actually easier to handle than my Sportster once I got used to the differences.

Old 07-02-2012 | 12:33 PM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain

It's just you.....

Old 07-02-2012 | 12:34 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Your right about any downgrade and it can get away from ya. First 300 miles I had to gently set it down when a downgrade caught me by surprise. If I was going to put the Mrs on the back of mine I would have put a couple thousand miles on it first.

Quick Reply: road king ...or is it just me