Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king ...or is it just me

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012 | 09:19 PM
C908
Road Warrior

Larry As someone mentioned earlier it might be time to consider a trike. Don't take this the wrong way but your getting close to 70 and not everyone stays strong when they get to that age. If your wife likes to ride and you start worrying about her safety 3 wheels might be your answer. I'm 10 years younger than you but whenever the time comes that I feel keeping the bike up is a problem I will be looking at trikes. I would also suggest covering those crash bars before you start practicing technique in the parking lot. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 07-03-2012 | 09:23 PM
swamperca
Cruiser

Hard to believe you been riding 50 years and have these type of problems. I've been riding that long also and don't see what the need is for both feet flat on the ground. I rode with a clutch on the left and a brake on the right for most of my riding time. Never had the left foot on the ground for years, and usually don't have it down now even though I know I could. Maybe I'm old school but WTF is all this both feet flat crap about??????????? I'm on a 96 King now and never had any low or high speed maneuvering problems, it's not as nimble as my FXR but it's better than my old Indians.

Old 07-03-2012 | 09:44 PM
Pattrolling
Advanced

I hear what everyone is saying, and they all have valid points... Having a passenger on the bike, a lean angle and a sudden stop, not much else can happen. If you have been riding for 50 years, you've done something right, but please continue to practice...riding is a skill and can diminish over time if not challenged. The dynamics of a passengers weight along with the bikes weight is a true balancing act.

Old 07-03-2012 | 10:36 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Larry, you've had this bike since '05 and still having these problems? I'm 5'11", and about 215 lbs, but a good portion of that is around my middle. I'm not a weight lifter at all. When I first got my RK, I had some of the same issues. But after awhile, it was no problem any more. My biggest issue with stopping was I was using way too much front brake at the exact moment I was rolling to a stop. That and my inexperienced wife would move around a bit. Even now, if she doesn't sit still when I'm coming to a stop, it can be a hand full. Getting it off the stand took some "oomph" at first, but now it's like nothing at all and I don't even think about it any more.

I don't know how much you ride, but I think you'll be fine if you just practice more. Get out and ride that thing, and quit thinking or worrying about it. You'll adjust how you have to in order to control the bike. Biggest thing is, don't be afraid of it. Good luck to you.

Old 07-09-2012 | 08:15 AM
Pog Mo Thoin
Intermediate

I'm 5'7 and never had a problem with my 03 King.The only time she kissed pavement was when some young chickie on a permit made a left turn in front of me. I do have a Corbin touring seat so maybe that's the difference. Love my King, I ride that thing like it's a sports bike (well not quite) but do I love the twisties. Scraped the floorboards many times.

Old 07-09-2012 | 08:34 AM
harley_badboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by larry harding
o.k. i'll fess up....when i pulled up to the intersection there was no one in sight and i was going to roll through the stop, when this car came into view. i had to stop quickly and was alreadly leaning and into my turn. when i stopped i was leaning to far to stop the bike from falling and the road sloped down to my left. i don't remember., but was probably on the front brake. i amgoing to look into the lower shocks and seat when i have time.
Larry, I think you have pinpointed your problem. You will have a problem when you are going slow, turning the front wheel and applying the front brake - you will most likely dump the bike. You would have probably been ok if you had used the rear brake. A seat and different shocks may be good as well but would probable not help you out in this situation.

Last edited by harley_badboy; 07-09-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-10-2012 | 03:15 PM
dopey_one
Novice

the drop shocks from phoenix customs bitchinbaggers.com worked well for me, and 2 other RK riders that were having the same complaints. I went with 11.5", another friend went with 11.25" and we both ride with no problems now.

Old 07-12-2012 | 10:44 AM
MDSG12
Novice

Originally Posted by larry harding
i've been riding for nearly 50 years, i'm 5'10" and 185 lbs so i'm no wimp. in 05 i bought a new road king, my first touring bike after riding a 76 superglide for 29 years. i love the way this bike ride out on the hiway, but in a parking lot it is the most terrifing thing i've ever been on. first it is a hand full to get off the side stand. i knew it is a heavier bike than i was used to, but what really bothers me is if it gets more than a few degrees from from straight up, it is going to the ground. the seating position is so high my feet can barely sit flat on the ground in a level place. yesterday the boss lady and i were making a left turn to get on the blue ridge parkway. the road was slanted down hill to my left, a car suddenly came around a curve into view. i had to stop and the bike started to lean left, by the time my left foot touched the ground it was too late, down on the crash bar we went. she bruised her knee in the process and will never let me live it down. it was all we could do to right the bike up again. i have a knuckle head and a 47 indian both have a lower center of gravity and feel like minibikes compared to the road king. why does harley build these with such a high center of gravity? i once heard someone say "the japs must think all americans are 6"4" the way they put the seating position" i think harley has the same idea. i really want to keep this bike but this is getting dangerous. there have been other instances where the bikg got a little leaned to the side and there was no stopping it from falling after a certain point.
Do you wear riding boots? Supporting the weight of a heavy bike on a uneven surface is tough without ankle support.

My .02...