Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king ...or is it just me

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012 | 08:17 AM
TURQ
Tourer

Originally Posted by nj08SEUltra
Larry, Here's a possible explanation for your recent drop. Sounds like you were turning left at low speed when you had to make a sudden stop. Did you hit the front brake at low speed while the handlebars were turned? If so, you had almost no shot at keeping the bike upright. In that situation, you either have to straighten the bars or use the rear brake. Also, since the road was slanted, it helps to put your high side foot down first. Just a thought.
+1
I have had 4 Corbin seats. Out of the box 600 miles/day. They will custom build the seat any way you want it...drop you down...move you forward...shave the nose for easier reach or all of the above. I have all of the above on my SG and couldn't be happier. Not cheap but for me its a great fit.
Red Wing logger boots give more reach and serious traction in parking lots!

Last edited by TURQ; 07-03-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 07-03-2012 | 09:29 AM
agueybana
Road Master

Im 5-10 like u, same its happened to me, its a bigger bike, maybe u need new seat and lower the suspension

Old 07-03-2012 | 10:08 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by larry harding
hey guys thanks for the many replys, i'm 67 and still working 50 hours a week as a home appliance tech, wrestling washing machines and side by side refs all day long, so i'm not weak. i am comparing the road king to my other bikes i own now and have owned in the past. my 42 knuck sits about 3 " of the ground compared to about 6" on the road king. the center of gravity is definetly higher and it is a much heaver bike than i had in the past. my old superglide had extended fork tubes and never felt this top heavy. i am going to look into lower shocks and maybe a lower seat. this has been a problem since i bought the bike, but came to a head sunday when the boss lady got hurt. can some one suggest a shock brand or number for lower shocks and seat that i can shop for?
Larry

Call Chuck at C & C Seats and talk to him about your needs for a seat. They do a great job at a good price IMO, or send your stock seat to C & C or Mean City for a rework, they can lower and move you forward on the seat. Next look at going to a set of lowered shocks, I would not go less than 12" or you loose to much travel ant eh ride suffers, inexpensive way and work better than the stock HD shocks is to go Progressive 940 shocks they will sit at the lowered height (12") but ride like a 13" shock about $ 460.00 or the better way is call Howard at Motor Cycle Metal and have a set of custom Ohlins built for you more money but top of the line suspension, Your choice.

I went Progressive and an very happy with the ride, Im also running my 3rd C & C seat and it lowered me 1.5" from the stock seat but still easy to put in long days and a lot of miles.

Last edited by XARAN; 07-03-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2012 | 10:15 AM
56tbird
Tourer

I'm 5' 11", but with a 30" inch inseam. I felt the very same way with my '11 ultra.. so much so that I thought I made a $24K mistake.
Solution.. a few things. Sent my seat to Mean city cycles to get it lowered by 1.5" and narrowed in the front. Next, I looked for a good pair of riding boots with a super grip AND thick sole... found that with a pair of Justin Gortex work boots... and lastly buy the "ride like a pro videos" and practice... All of that worked wonders.

Old 07-03-2012 | 10:16 AM
IronLegend
Tourer

Hi Larry: I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam, 185 lbs. (definately not all muscle) and 60 yrs. old. I went from a Sportster to my '02 RK and then thought to myself after that I had made a mistake buying it just because it's SO heavy to hold up and (for me still) to manouver in tight spaces.

Luckily the original owner had the suspension lowered front and rear which lets me 'just' flatfoot when stopped. I went to a Sundowner seat from the original which, I think, sits me a tad higher but not so much as to cause an issue. It took a while for me to get comfortable with the weight and width of the RK but the more I rode it I gained more confidence so that now it doesn't scare me nearly as much, there are still times, but I'm not giving up, I just pay more attention and think about what I'm doing.

Raising the kickstand has always been a bit of a stretch but doesn't cause a problem. Riding solo is not much of an issue but when wifey is on the back and I'm stopped I find it can get a bit tippy so I just take a tighter grip on the bars and squeeze my legs closer to the tank and find this helps.

Lastly, I have the Ride Like A Pro IV DVD which I watch a couple or three times during the riding season and I inevitably notice a 'riding tip' that I had forgotten about and it helps. Unless you're at the point where you don't have the confidence to continue with it...don't give up. I know I'm not going to let my RK get the best of me!

Tom

Old 07-03-2012 | 10:21 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

Takes some getting used to the weight, I agree. Also agree that adjusted seat might do the trick for you. You'll get comfortable eventually once you get things where they should be! : )

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-03-2012 | 10:22 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronLegend
Raising the kickstand has always been a bit of a stretch but doesn't cause a problem.

Tom
Tom, you might want to look into this extension if reaching the Jiffy Stand is a problem.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 07-03-2012 | 10:52 AM
DeiGratia
Tourer

You have 48 more year of riding experience than I do, so for me to say anything may not carry much weight. Just an inch taller than you, same 180 lb frame, 32" inseam and became really comfortable with my 09 FLHR from day 1. Wife doesnt ride 2-up - she's just too scared. Give yourself and your boss lady some more time to get acquianted with the scoot. Best of luck.

Old 07-03-2012 | 11:31 AM
larry harding
|
Advanced
Default road king

o.k. i'll fess up....when i pulled up to the intersection there was no one in sight and i was going to roll through the stop, when this car came into view. i had to stop quickly and was alreadly leaning and into my turn. when i stopped i was leaning to far to stop the bike from falling and the road sloped down to my left. i don't remember., but was probably on the front brake. i amgoing to look into the lower shocks and seat when i have time.

Old 07-03-2012 | 08:46 PM
motorman857
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by larry harding
hey guys thanks for the many replys, i'm 67 and still working 50 hours a week as a home appliance tech, wrestling washing machines and side by side refs all day long, so i'm not weak. i am comparing the road king to my other bikes i own now and have owned in the past. my 42 knuck sits about 3 " of the ground compared to about 6" on the road king. the center of gravity is definetly higher and it is a much heaver bike than i had in the past. my old superglide had extended fork tubes and never felt this top heavy. i am going to look into lower shocks and maybe a lower seat. this has been a problem since i bought the bike, but came to a head sunday when the boss lady got hurt. can some one suggest a shock brand or number for lower shocks and seat that i can shop for?
Larry, it ain't the bike. Take a look at ride like a pro victoria on youtube. She's 4'11 and rides an Eglide a Goldwing and a Victory. None of which have been lowered. In my dvd you'll see plenty of tiny women on big Harleys riding them with the ease of a toy. They don't need strength, they know the techniques. Don't waste your money lowering the bike. It ruins the ride and limits the lean angle. It's a lot cheaper and safer to learn a few techniques. If little girls can do it, there ain't nothing to it.

Quick Reply: road king ...or is it just me