Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king ...or is it just me

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012 | 03:28 PM
kingultra
Cruiser

funny, i have spoke with police officers that claim you have more control sitting higher. Some of the police bikes around here have what looks like PVC wedges under their seats to get them higher (and these are the guys that ride the competition.

I have found that practice works wonders on slow speed maneuvers. There is enough ride like a pro on youtube to get you started.

Old 07-02-2012 | 03:38 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

I also rode a 76 FXE for 30 years . last year i bought a 2008 FLHRC .

I am 5'7" 30" inseam .

I could barley touch the ground or reach the kickstand.

First thing i did was send the stock seat to MeanCity Cycle to have the seat lowered and narrowed .
I also installed HDs kickstand exstention kit .good mod.

that much might do it for you.

i also replaced my 13" stock airshocks with 11" Bitchin Baggar Drop shocks .
They are stock shocks that have been cut down diffrent springs and oil .
the bike stode up to straight then so i installed a DragSpecialtys wedge thinng on the kick standto make the lean of the bike more like stock.

last i raised my floor boards a notch . more cumfey and less dragging .

Last edited by baust55; 07-02-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2012 | 03:43 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master

Wife is 5'6 120lbs albeit stronger than most women. Loading packages at UPS for 18 years.

The Roadking to her is the most maneuverable bike she's ever ridden. It's an '02 so the narrower frame which made a big difference. She couldn't flatfoot on the '09+'s.

If feels tiny under me compared to my '10 SG.

She's a master with the "friction zone" and the rear brake however. That alone makes the slower turns a breeze.

Old 07-02-2012 | 03:49 PM
ParkerH
Cruiser

It IS a big bike, but my '04 is very well mannered with or without the wifey on the back. They are heavy, at slow speeds you need to counterbalance to make sharp turns, once you've got the feel for it its a piece of cake!

Old 07-02-2012 | 03:50 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

+ 1, 2 or 3. It's just you.

Old 07-02-2012 | 04:10 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

I don't mean this as mean as it will sound, but anyone your size who has trouble standing a RK up from the kickstand is more than a little soft. Anyone your size who has trouble standing it back upright when it leans a few degrees past center is more than a bit on the weak side.

It's either that you are much weaker than the average man or you have never done any physical work or competiton that teaches you how to use leverage. Nothing physical is ever "all about brute strength" leverage and knowing how to do what you are trying to accomplish is almost as important.

If you are having this much trouble, I think you should get a much smaller bike.

Dennis

Old 07-02-2012 | 04:14 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by kingultra
funny, i have spoke with police officers that claim you have more control sitting higher. Some of the police bikes around here have what looks like PVC wedges under their seats to get them higher (and these are the guys that ride the competition.

I have found that practice works wonders on slow speed maneuvers. There is enough ride like a pro on youtube to get you started.
A higher center of gravity will improve performance at high speeds or even low speeds as long as you stay in the saddle and are riding the bike without thinking of stopping or putting your feet down.

When you have to stop and put your feet down, a lower center of gravity is more comfortable.

Dennis

Old 07-03-2012 | 06:50 AM
larry harding
|
Advanced
Default road king or is it me

hey guys thanks for the many replys, i'm 67 and still working 50 hours a week as a home appliance tech, wrestling washing machines and side by side refs all day long, so i'm not weak. i am comparing the road king to my other bikes i own now and have owned in the past. my 42 knuck sits about 3 " of the ground compared to about 6" on the road king. the center of gravity is definetly higher and it is a much heaver bike than i had in the past. my old superglide had extended fork tubes and never felt this top heavy. i am going to look into lower shocks and maybe a lower seat. this has been a problem since i bought the bike, but came to a head sunday when the boss lady got hurt. can some one suggest a shock brand or number for lower shocks and seat that i can shop for?

Old 07-03-2012 | 07:53 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer

Larry, Here's a possible explanation for your recent drop. Sounds like you were turning left at low speed when you had to make a sudden stop. Did you hit the front brake at low speed while the handlebars were turned? If so, you had almost no shot at keeping the bike upright. In that situation, you either have to straighten the bars or use the rear brake. Also, since the road was slanted, it helps to put your high side foot down first. Just a thought.

Old 07-03-2012 | 08:12 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

Sundowner seat, rear of the bike lowered 1 1/2" with bitchinbagger.com modified shocks. I'm 5'6 and about 157 lbs and its still a bit too tall for me but I manage. Although as I get older it doesn't get any easier, even with working out a lot.

Like the guy above me said, don't try to stop with front wheel turned, it will go down almost for sure. Straighten the wheel out first. Going slow speed and turning, drag the rear brake some while the throttle is used, it will keep the bike raised up and more controllable. Also, (real important) don't look down at the ground as you will head right where you are looking.

Quick Reply: road king ...or is it just me