Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 Road king front brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 PM
DBH6601
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Road king front brake issue

I haven't liked the feel of the front brakes since I got this bike. Pretty soft and a lot of lever movement, but seemed to stop ok. Time came for new pads which I replaced with lindall's and it didn't change anything except now front wheel has a lot of brake drag to the point it is hard to pull backwards. I pull the wheel cylinders and the wheel spins free. It seems that the pads are not retracting the way they should so I pulled the pads and gave the lever a pull to see what is happening. Pistons barely move with a full pull on the lever and with multiple quick pulls they don't continue to move out. Resevore is full and when I have the top off and pull the lever the fluid level doesn't decline much if at all. So it appears I need a complete over haul on front brakes, or would it be better to do a Brembo convertion at this time? Bike has 80k+ on it. In my reading on here there were some comments that the Dot 5 produced a softer brake feeling, true or ? Anyway whats everyones thoughts?

Old 07-01-2012, 03:21 PM
revelator2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you have lots of brake dust build up on the pistons. I usually use CRC brake cleaner and drench them good while they are extended out some. I've even used a small wire hand brush to scrub that build up off of them. It doesn't take much to make them drag and not retract back into the caliper.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM
DBH6601
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by revelator2
sounds like you have lots of brake dust build up on the pistons. I usually use CRC brake cleaner and drench them good while they are extended out some. I've even used a small wire hand brush to scrub that build up off of them. It doesn't take much to make them drag and not retract back into the caliper.
Agree that the brake dust is one issue, but the master doesn't seem to be putting out the fluid it should to have a good solid feel on the brakes, and i should be able to push the piston out of the wheel cylinders with a few pumps. just doesn't seem to be doing it.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:29 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH6601
Agree that the brake dust is one issue, but the master doesn't seem to be putting out the fluid it should to have a good solid feel on the brakes, and i should be able to push the piston out of the wheel cylinders with a few pumps. just doesn't seem to be doing it.
Personally I would do as I did with my 03 RK and switch over to the Brembo brakes as they are so much better. You should be able to find take offs on EBay. You will need the two calipers, two 11.8" rotors, master cylinder, brake lever with pin, and banjo bolts. Clean out all the dot 5 brake fluid from your brake lines as you will need to run dot 4. Good time to consider new SS brake lines.
If you want to continue with your current set up try pushing the brake pucks back into the caliper ( I use a large C clamp) and then pumping them out. Be careful not to extend them too far so that they fall out. Clean the pucks. I use brake cleaner and a old tooth brush so as not to scratch them. I do this a few times( push in - pump out - clean) until the pucks move out evenly together.
I would also change your brake fluid as this should be done every two years. Dot5 tends to absorb moisture and will give you that spongy brake feel.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:14 PM
potatodigger1
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

had the same thing on my 02 ultra, put lindall's on and rebuilt the calipers, works like a champ! got all the info on here and youtube.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

I put full floating rotors and braided brake lines on my 02 RK. The brakes were great!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:22 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Do like 03DragonRK says and include 11.8" floating rotors (Harley makes some) in place of the stock Harley 11.8". This will be insurance against warping the rotors. I did the Brembo conversion on my 04, with braided steel lines and floating-rotors, and the braking is excellent now. All in (I already had the brake lines) with new pads and new rotors, this cost me less than 750. I did it myself. Not hard, all of it's bolt-in. It was about the best upgrade I've done.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 07-01-2012 at 07:24 PM.