Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get rear strut bolt back in

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 04:44 PM
GermanyBert
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get rear strut bolt back in

I tried to install the hardware for the detachable touring pak and can not get the bolt back in on either side. These are the bolts on top at the rear. One bolt goes into a welded nut and it is no problem. The second bolt goes into a nut that is between the chrome strut cover and fender. It is this second one I can not get back in.

I plan to take it to the dealer to have them put the hardware on as soon as they have an opening.

Can I ride my RG with these bolts out? They are not long bolts so it does not seem they are folding the fender in place. Is there a trick to getting these bolts back in?

Old 01-13-2007, 05:33 PM
bigunderdog
Stage II
Default RE: Can't get rear strut bolt back in

I had the same problem. Spent every bit of an hour trying to get these holes to line up. I smashed my nuckles a good one trying to remove those two torxs head screws first. They were tightened to over 110ftlbs. Real surprized they weren't stripped from the factory. I think whoever is assembling these bikes are going from one side to the other and tightening these screws with an impact tool. End result, one side is perfect and the other is way off. Try putting the screw in at the back of the bike in real loose and use it to pry the other hole in line. A well placed allen wrench in the open hole works sometimes too. If you can get the allen wrech in the front hole lined up, then tighten the back one the whole way, the alignment might stay close enough to get the front screw started. This is the second bike I installed the same backrest on. First bike took 2 hours, this one 4 nights after work. To top it off, Harley didn't include half the nuts, bolts,or either of the two struts needed for assembly. After it was assembled correctly I have a half dozen screws that don't belong anywere in this assembly. No quality control at all in China where these packages are thrown together.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:55 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Ditto, a real PITA. After futzing with my cruise control an entire afternoon the week before I said, "Oh, docking kit...did that on my old RK...easy job!" Well, while a 15-min. job on the '96 RK, there were lot's of problems on the new bike, including the one you mention, and I'm surprised you didn't have some fun and games with the clip nut below the two you mentioned. That thing flipped out of position twice and it was a joy trying to hold it in place with long needle-nose pliars and re-clipping it with a long screwdriver, five inches inside of that small hollow strut. And the instructions were not well-written, a trend I see developing with HD accessories. I think they want everyone to (1) buy the manual and/or (2) get frustrated and take it to the dealer.

On mine ('07 SG), one of the top strut bolts was missing (left side), and when I removed the other one everything shifted, apparently identical to what you and Michael experienced. The key is to push here, pull there, and pry up yonder--all while positioning and threading the bolt--requiring about four hands, and I only had two. I finally got it, but it was much harder to install that the oil cooler I tackled right after that, a piece of cake by comparison.

Not sure what to suggest about the bolt, but I think that if you have some friends over for a beer or two, the extra hands will come in handy.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:34 PM
GermanyBert
Cruiser

Thanks. Is it okay to ride without these two bolts in?

Old 01-13-2007, 07:54 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dito on the above posts. When I did mine the holes shifted. Major PITA getting them lined up. I used the old screws to help aline. Took some time but don't go to the stealler, gonna cost you $60 min.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:54 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

..do like atkrwc say's use old bolts to line up..
Later

Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pick up on the bottom of the fender!!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:13 AM
GermanyBert
Cruiser

Got the botls back in. Took about five minute after I loosened the saddlebag support on the right side.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:29 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: GermanyBert

Got the botls back in. Took about five minute after I loosened the saddlebag support on the right side.
Nothing is really hard to do on our bikes, just sometimes its like a puzzle and you gotta wonder why things go together like they do...Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:14 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

And if your able to figure those puzzle's out.
Your Mechanically Incline.... If not, Call the dealer...

Quick Reply: Can't get rear strut bolt back in