Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't run with Road Zep installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012 | 09:36 PM
Bushrider
|
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't run with Road Zep installed

I was in the dealer today and they had a bunch of Demo seats on a shelf. I grabbed the Road Zep and put it on my UL with it plugged into the acc plug.

I decided to start it up and play with the 3 buttons to see what they do. It fired right up but quit after 2-3 seconds. I repeated the process a few times. I unplugged the seat and it ran fine. Plugged the seat in again and it would only run for a few seconds at a time. I took the Road Zep off and took it back into the dealer. Told them I didn't like it.

Anyone have any ideas what the hell was going on?

Old 06-29-2012 | 09:48 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 608 Likes on 442 Posts

sounds like a bad seat. must have a short in it or something. Try a different air seat and see if it does the same thing. You ever use the ACC plug for anything else? maybe its bad?

Old 06-29-2012 | 10:31 PM
Bushrider
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
sounds like a bad seat. must have a short in it or something. Try a different air seat and see if it does the same thing.?
Good idea. If they've got another one for sale I'll try it.

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
You ever use the ACC plug for anything else? maybe its bad?
No. I haven't plugged anything else into this. Strange why a simple power plug would affect the run circuit. I'll try a different accessory and see if the same thing happens.

Old 06-29-2012 | 10:53 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

This may be a stupid question but why didn't you ask the dealer, instead of just saying you didn't like the seat?
Maybe you plugged it into the wrong place? I'm just asking.

Old 06-29-2012 | 11:03 PM
Bushrider
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
This may be a stupid question but why didn't you ask the dealer, instead of just saying you didn't like the seat?
Maybe you plugged it into the wrong place? I'm just asking.
Sorry I left that part out. Service mgr came out and we confirmed that it was plugged in to the right lead. I demonstrated what was happening and we scratched our heads. It was late in the day so we just swapped the seats back and I left.

Old 06-29-2012 | 11:29 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushrider
Sorry I left that part out. Service mgr came out and we confirmed that it was plugged in to the right lead. I demonstrated what was happening and we scratched our heads. It was late in the day so we just swapped the seats back and I left.
It's a sad story but, I was going to buy a HD Hammock seat, I had the parts guy, the serivce writter and a certified HD mechanic try to mount it and all failed. IT'S A FREAKIN' HD SEAT MADE FOR MY HD and it took me to mount it.
Sad story indeed.

Old 06-30-2012 | 07:27 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
It's a sad story but, I was going to buy a HD Hammock seat, I had the parts guy, the serivce writter and a certified HD mechanic try to mount it and all failed. IT'S A FREAKIN' HD SEAT MADE FOR MY HD and it took me to mount it.
Sad story indeed.
Don't think I'd go back to that dealer.

Old 06-30-2012 | 07:40 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default I wanna try one!

Originally Posted by Bushrider
I was in the dealer today and they had a bunch of Demo seats on a shelf. I grabbed the Road Zep and put it on my UL with it plugged into the acc plug.
Last time at my dealer he had all the demo seats hanging on the wall but I didn't see the Road Zep there. I'll have to ask again, but they were just starting up the program and didn't have one available! YET?

I really want to try one! 21" of pillowy comfort?

Old 06-30-2012 | 07:57 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

There have been too many stories about wiring errors from the factory. Most of these cases involved the cig lighter plug being wired backwards. I would check the ACC switch with a VOM to verify that the polarity is correct. I wouldn't be surprised if it's backwards.

Old 06-30-2012 | 08:12 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Last time at my dealer he had all the demo seats hanging on the wall but I didn't see the Road Zep there. I'll have to ask again, but they were just starting up the program and didn't have one available! YET?

I really want to try one! 21" of pillowy comfort?
In my quest for a seat, I bought a RZ seat and tried it. I will tell you that it is a MASSIVE seat. I personally did not like it, as it sets you at least an inch higher and was a challenge manuvering the bike around because it's so wide. Not vertically challenged either.

It was just too damn big for me.

Quick Reply: Bike won't run with Road Zep installed