Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon to own a StreetGlide

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012 | 09:15 PM
kryingame
|
Road Warrior
Default Soon to own a StreetGlide

Hey guys, I currently own a 2005 Yamaha Roadstar. It's heavily modified but it's really not the bike I want.

I'm located in Charlotte, N.C. and one of the local shops has a 2012 SG with 1400 miles on it. The previous owner bought it and traded it in because he thought it had to more muscle for him.

Anyway, earlier today, I took it for a test ride. All I can say is WOW!!!

Riding the Streetglide is to difficult to articulate. I can't believe how smooth it rides. I was actually nervous riding it. It's a completely different feeling from my Roadstar. I think my Roadstar is quicker than a stock Streetglide but it's definitely not as smooth and comfortable as the Streetglide.

I have a Sportech fairing and audio component on my Roadstar but it can't compare with the sound system on a Street Glide.

I have 2 complaint. The shifting is a lot different than what I'm used to. If I take the plunge, I'll have to get used to it. And for the big complaint: Financing through Harley Davidson! I don't get it, I have a good credit rating but they came back with a really high rate. I don't know if I want to get locked into that rate for so many years.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you all a shout out.

Old 06-27-2012 | 09:26 PM
oneballz
Road Captain

I can't compare metric bikes cuz its been 30 years since I had one of them.
But the free Demo my friendly salesman took me on sold me a Streetglide.

What rate did HD quote you? they should negotiate.
Try your bank, My bank has some ridiculous low rates right now and they told me many people refinance their cars for the better rates. I don't know why you cant after you get the bike.

Oh yea, Welcome to the Dark Side...Luke

Old 06-27-2012 | 09:33 PM
one-up
Road Warrior

You'll like the Street Glide, that's for sure. Check with a local credit unions for rates. They're usually lower.

Have fun with the Glide.

Old 06-27-2012 | 09:46 PM
Shortmag
Road Master

Ditto on the Credit Unions

Old 06-27-2012 | 10:24 PM
jcole
Cruiser

I just got my new StreetGlide last night, and love it. I had one dealership in town run the numbers, and "the best" they could do for me was %18 apr..... so took my business across town to another dealership and they offered %3.99 without even blinking....

Why the big difference?? I have no idea, but im happy I looked around.

Old 06-27-2012 | 10:52 PM
kryingame
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jcole
I just got my new StreetGlide last night, and love it. I had one dealership in town run the numbers, and "the best" they could do for me was %18 apr..... so took my business across town to another dealership and they offered %3.99 without even blinking....

Why the big difference?? I have no idea, but im happy I looked around.
hey man, that encouraging to know. They offered me 8.75%. That's a horrible rate. I got home and called the finance manager and he said he could get it lowered 1 point.

I talked to a co-worker a few hours ago. Her husband got SG a little more than a month ago. She talked the stealer-ship from 7 something down to 3%.

I still think 7.75 is way to high. Tomorrow I'm going to call a few other stealer-ships to see what they can offer.

Old 06-27-2012 | 11:31 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Yep,like the others are saying. Your local credit union is the way to go. HD financing is a joke,it's only good for someone with bad credit,go figure!

Old 06-28-2012 | 01:32 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

Welcome to the forum where you are gonna get some good answers about Harleys kryingame. I have to admit I was wondering why you are asking about a Harley over on that other forum. Its a great forum and I like it over there alot but there is just not a lot of Harley knowledge to be had. I was not trying to turn you away from an SG over there but I was trying to point out some real issues that you are gonna find out about sooner or later. Just do a search on here about SG buffeting and High Heat on 103's and 96's. The one guy you praised is talking about an 05' that does not have the heat issues. And buffeting is not bad if you don't have any first hand knowledge to compare it to. I know you have stars in your eyes right now but I was genuinely trying to get you do some more research before jumping in. Especially if you are looking for a serious touring bike like you said over there. If a trip to Gatlinburg from Charlotte is a tour for you then the SG is gonna make you happy, if you are planning on riding to Alaska, do some research.

Hope you get some financing to suit your needs. Harley always tries to beat folks up on interest. The dealers get a kickback for points so they always add a few to what Harley sends back to them. Credit unions are always better. Good Luck and welcome to the Forum!

Old 06-28-2012 | 05:40 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior

The shifting is what it is. In my case, the SG shifts a lot better than my Suzuki C50 ever did. With the Suzi, I HAD to use the heel shift so I could give it a FIRM kick down to get gears changed. Everyone on the forums agreed that this is normal for the C50, so I had to get used to it. With the SG, the only reason I use the heel shift is finding neutral because it shifts so nicely.

If you don't like HD's financing, go somewhere else. You don't have to use their financing. Usually credit unions have the best rates.

Old 06-28-2012 | 05:55 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Can't help you with the financing thing, but I recommend going to HD of Charlotte in Matthews NC if you haven't already. I bought my used SG from them a couple of years ago and the experience couldn't have been better. They treated me like I was buying a 40K CVO. I got a really good price on my bike, and a good trade in deal on my wife's fatboy. My local dealer couldn't touch them. I dealt with Bill Moore and Bill Shook.

Great place to do business.

Shakey