Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120r running on one cylinder at idle, too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:14 PM
jmoore9
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 120r running on one cylinder at idle, too hot?

Noticed last night at a stop light bike was idling funny and my 5 friends had no idea and just made fun of it going ba ba ba ba ba ba. It would do that every ten seconds or so. One guy said it sounded like it was running on one cylinder. I have no oil cooler yet but do plan on getting one real soon. The temp was around 70 out so I didn't think the bike was running hot, anyone ever had this. It seemed to run fine once I got going.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 PM
petewerner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like that at about 260 on mine... Early on it did it alot until I got new headpipes and a good tune!!! Not happened since the new StageIV kit either...

Last edited by petewerner; 06-27-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 PM
jmoore9
Cruiser

Just got a thunder header x- series 2-1 and had it tuned with an SE race tune at HD. It's been running fine until the last week. It's not right I know that.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
jty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine too hot?
Originally Posted by http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-fuel-injection.html
In Phase 1, if the ECM sees engine temperature above 300 degrees F., while the bike is either moving, or standing still, it will reduce idle speed. Theory being that a lower idle has less sparks, producing less heat. In Phase 2, if the ECM sees an engine temperature that is still climbing from Phase 1, it will richen up the AFR. Richer mixture has a cooling affect. In Phase 3, if the ECM sees that the temperature is still going up, and the bike is sitting still, it will go ahead and skip-pulse the injectors, not delivering fuel on each intake stroke. Again limiting combustion and producing less heat. Phase 3 is only active when the bike is sitting still. These 3 Phases pass from one to another without pause, and you may not even feel or notice it.
Or did you put it to "parade mode" with "double-reverese-twist" of the throttle?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

How many miles is on it?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It IS running hot. This is 'parade mode' and what it does is kill one cylinder to allow it to cool. I would NOT disable parade mode either as HEAT will do way more damage than any stuttering it will do.

Put a cooler on it. That really won't help much, but will maybe keep the oil viable when it gets that hot.

You can also get a parade fan. I like member Fabrikators (Wards products?)

The bottom line is the tune is NOT spot on. a 120r really needs a very decent tune to get em going right and have nice manners. This is not some 103 or 107, so ya know.

I wouldn't bother with a tune from a dealer, as it appears they did not tune it OK anyways. Where are you from? Maybe I could suggest a tuner within a days ride of you? It IS the tune. You seem to have a choice or two. I would call R&R Cycles and see what hey could do about your tune. Also, there is BigBoyz in ME. THAT tune would be an open loop tune, which isn't a bad thing on a big *** motor like a 120r anyways.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 PM
jmoore9
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
It IS running hot. This is 'parade mode' and what it does is kill one cylinder to allow it to cool. I would NOT disable parade mode either as HEAT will do way more damage than any stuttering it will do.

Put a cooler on it. That really won't help much, but will maybe keep the oil viable when it gets that hot.

You can also get a parade fan. I like member Fabrikators (Wards products?)

The bottom line is the tune is NOT spot on. a 120r really needs a very decent tune to get em going right and have nice manners. This is not some 103 or 107, so ya know.

I wouldn't bother with a tune from a dealer, as it appears they did not tune it OK anyways. Where are you from? Maybe I could suggest a tuner within a days ride of you? It IS the tune. You seem to have a choice or two. I would call R&R Cycles and see what hey could do about your tune. Also, there is BigBoyz in ME. THAT tune would be an open loop tune, which isn't a bad thing on a big *** motor like a 120r anyways.
There's 3000 miles on it. I live in Nashua, NH currently. I was told to go to R&R in Manchester by some friends so thank you for your feedback.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 PM
jmoore9
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jty
Engine too hot?

Or did you put it to "parade mode" with "double-reverese-twist" of the throttle?
Really? You can do that on you own? I have never read that ever. Please tell me more!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:21 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoore9
Really? You can do that on you own? I have never read that ever. Please tell me more!
Just turn the throttle the opposite direction when you are setting still idling the bike. Your '08 should be throttle by wire so try it out.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jty
Engine too hot?

I've noticed that my engine goes to one cylinder operation when oil temp is 180 degrees or higher. The 300 degrees engine temp referenced in the quote is measuring exactly what......head temp or something else?

Is my 180 oil temp equivalent to the 300 degree temp or do I have a faulty engine idle management system.......or is this something completely different than the ECM program referenced in the quote below?

Thanks,

VR

"
Originally Posted by http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...injection.html
In Phase 1, if the ECM sees engine temperature above 300 degrees F., while the bike is either moving, or standing still, it will reduce idle speed. Theory being that a lower idle has less sparks, producing less heat. In Phase 2, if the ECM sees an engine temperature that is still climbing from Phase 1, it will richen up the AFR. Richer mixture has a cooling affect. In Phase 3, if the ECM sees that the temperature is still going up, and the bike is sitting still, it will go ahead and skip-pulse the injectors, not delivering fuel on each intake stroke. Again limiting combustion and producing less heat. Phase 3 is only active when the bike is sitting still. These 3 Phases pass from one to another without pause, and you may not even feel or notice it."

Last edited by HOGNOT; 06-28-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 120r running on one cylinder at idle, too hot?