Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120r running on one cylinder at idle, too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It's not "Parade Mode".
It called "ENGINE TEMPERATURE IDLE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM" or "ETIMS"

When does it come on?:
When engine temperature reaches a pre-determined point, the EITMS will turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector. Idle speed will be maintained, however the rear cylinder will become an “air pump” which will work to cool the engine. EITMS will activate (rear cylinder will turn off) when all of the following conditions are met for approximately 6 seconds.
• Engine temperature is greater than 287° F domestic (165° C international)
• Twist grip opening less than 2.0%
• Vehicle speed under 1 MPH (2 KPH)
• Clutch lever in or transmission in neutral

When does it turn off?:
Engine speed under 1200 RPM EITMS will disable (rear cylinder will again fire) if any one of the following occurs:
• Engine temperature falls below 275° F domestic (135° C international)
• Twist grip opening greater than 2.3%
• Vehicle speed exceeds 2 MPH (3 KPH)
• Engine speed exceeds 1350 RPM
• Clutch is released with vehicle in gear When the engine is in EITMS mode you may notice a difference in idle cadence. Additionally there may be a unique exhaust odor. These are both considered to be normal conditions.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:05 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's in the owners manual.

Engine Idle Temperature Management System

For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions or traffic congestion, the motorcycle is equipped with an Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) to provide limited cooling of the rear cylinder.

When the engine is in EITMS operation, you may notice a difference in idle cadence. Additionally, there may be a unique exhaust odor. These are both considered to be normal conditions.

Vehicles are delivered from the factory with EITMS disabled. EITMS can be enabled or disabled by the rider using the following procedure.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (do not start the motorcycle).

Push the throttle to roll-off position and hold.

See Indicator Lamps: Touring Models. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or red (EITMS disabled).

Repeat the procedure as needed to enable or disable EITMS

Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM
jmoore9
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Is why I love this forum!

Thanks everyone, oil cooler is still coming.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

I usually keep mine turned off, unless I get stuck in some serious traffic.
Usually never stopped long enough for it to do any good, and if you're in slow moving traffic, it doesn't come on.
It really seems kind of useless. Better off pulling over to the side of the road until traffic moves.
BTW....never had any pinging issues

Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,537 Posts

there is a bucnh of misconception regarding the eitms. as the operator, you can not 'force' it to come on. all you can do is to enable or disable it. the rest is automatic, and dependent on a certain set of parameters (texas fat boys post).

i am interested in the quote from harley-performance.com. wondering where this information comes from as it seems to contradict hd's own literature.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:22 PM
jty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
there is a bucnh of misconception regarding the eitms. as the operator, you can not 'force' it to come on. all you can do is to enable or disable it. the rest is automatic, and dependent on a certain set of parameters (texas fat boys post).

i am interested in the quote from harley-performance.com. wondering where this information comes from as it seems to contradict hd's own literature.
Thanks for correction. As per the quote, I couldn't remember exactly how EITMS worked, and just googled that and quoted - apparently google doesn't know everything :-)

So to be absolutely clear, EITMS works as in Texas Fat Boys post, the temp is the head temp (IIRC front cylinder head) and as skratch said, the EITMS detection mode can be forced off or on by throttle as in vzts4q's post, not double-twist as I remembered. This is on page 140 of the 2008 owners manual