Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:20 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shorty windshield

I'm 5'-11", and I have a 6-1/2" dark smoke on my Ultra. I run this one from March through November. I haven't had any problems at all. For December through February, I put a 10-1/2" on it to cut down on the cold air. A friend of mine had a 3-1/2" on his, and he ended up taking it off, because when he got caught in the rain, it seemed to deflect it all into his face.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:32 AM
daconiam
Tourer

I have an Ultra and made the box detachable and all that rot. Got the shorty windshield and did not like it for the long haul, love it for commuting. Wind is not a problem until after a couple hours or so.... Got a 9" from Cee Baily andlove it (stock was just to tall for me, I'm 5'7 and 3/4"). Wish I would have heard about the recurve befor I got the 9" though. Would have gone with an 8" tinted recurve ....

Love the change in looks without the box and a different seat. Just like I have 2 bikes now, one commuter/cruiser and one for the long haul.....

Old 01-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Hiram
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody for all the input. Sounds like I'm going to have to look into that Cee Bailey recurve. I'm 6'2" so it's either a tall shield or a real short one.

Clint & Bryan, yep looking to get rid of the "old Geezer" look. It's bad enough I didn't have to powder the beard to be Santa this year.

Richard, thanks for the good words about the scoot.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:12 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Hiram

Thanks everybody for all the input. Sounds like I'm going to have to look into that Cee Bailey recurve. I'm 6'2" so it's either a tall shield or a real short one.

Clint & Bryan, yep looking to get rid of the "old Geezer" look. It's bad enough I didn't have to powder the beard to be Santa this year.

Something you could consider, lowering the back then try a 10 shield...
I'm 6'1" and the SG is a lowered bike.. I have a 10" tinted shield...
Works OK I can look over it, and also duck if I get caught in rain...

I had an 06 Ultra, and it seemed to croud me to the batwing, the SG
has a more custom seat the lets you sit lower and farther back...

Hope this info is helpful...

[IMG]local://upfiles/11910/B0619AF9BEDD49A5922CC75BF5EAF27D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2007, 12:47 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Richard...I believe you mean the "Clearview w/ recurve." Cee Bailey is the SSC.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:51 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

hey Hiram....my stock windshield on the SG was 4"...I thought that one was too low....got a moco 6" and loved it....it looked great and the wind blast hit my hairline ..i never had a buffeting problem or a headache...recently i got a clearview 8" with recurve...i'm in love...its just barely taller than the 6", the recurve directs wind over my head and the top edge of the windshield is still way below my line of sight...plus itlooks very sporty...i'm quite sure i'll be using this windscreen for many miles
Glad you like that 8" Clearview recurve. It is pretty amazing isn't it? Sometimes the more straight up angle of the shield bugs me from a looks standpont, but you're right it's short enough to keep the sport image for the bike. I alternate between four windshields; 13" Cee Bailey, 8" Clearview w/recurve, 9" FastAire and 6" Fast Aire. I'm gonna put my opaque 9" Cee Bailey SSC up for sale. (FastAire has a much improved product in my opinion these days. After ordering about 6 of them, the last 3 have had a much better protective coat on them.) The first three were so easy to scratch you couldn't even clean them with a micro towell.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:16 PM
frittsk
Tourer

The first thing I did to my Streetglide was put on a 9 1/2" windshield. Couldn't ride it long distances with the shorty.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Hiram
Road Captain

I was just surfing the Clear View site again and noticed something. They are in Bailey CO. I'll see if they are at the show this weekend, if not, I'll just drop by.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: GliderXXX

I've got the 8" Clearview with recurve also. It does a good job of providing wind and buffetting protection in my opinion. The look has not worn as well for me however. It seems to stand to straight up and somehow doesn't look as good as my 9" Fast Aire on my SG. Now for the Cee Bailey SSC...it is by far the best windshield I've ever used. Nothing provides a wind pocket like it does, I think it looks great, and mine is a 13" or the equivilent of a 10". I'm 6' and I just look over it due to way it curves into the rider vs straight up. I also have a 9" that I really don't care for. It doesn't do much of anything other than look good.
Based on their chart, the 12" should have about the same height as my 8" Clearview (16.5" from tip of WS to gas lid lock), but I wonder how the "pocket" will change from your 13". Will it be acceptable? You're 2" taller than me, so maybe it is about right, but who knows? Another factor is the helmet. I'm using a 3/4, so if you're using a beanie helmet (non-DOT) that doesn't stick up as much, merely changing to a half or 3/4 might make a big difference in the pocket. I need to find a 5' 10" guy who uses a backrest and a 3/4 helmet with a 12" SSC for a report. There should be hundreds of you out there, so please sound off! ...[total silence]

I'm inclined to keep my Clearview because I can mount a WS bag, which I like for practical reasons, and SSC's do not accept a bag. The bottom line is that it works fine and is a known entity. The SSC is an unknown, plus there is the bag issue.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:07 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

I was just surfing the Clear View site again and noticed something. They are in Bailey CO. I'll see if they are at the show this weekend, if not, I'll just drop by.
The Loan Officer's 01 EGC screen height is way to tall for her in the rain. It's a standard HD 12". Where is Bailey, CO.? We are going to be in Colorado Springs for a convention in mid February. Are they nearby? Don't see Bailey or Pine on the Tour planner.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/066B9E8842AE44209E6BFB223C949975.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Shorty windshield