Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it still my battery???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012 | 04:47 PM
scot210
|
Tourer

OK I bought this forward again, not sure where it got posted so will try again here. Sorry if it shows up twice. I took the primary cover off to inspect the jack shaft gear and the teeth on the clutch basket. All present and accounted for. Pulled the starter and solenoid apart, everything looks good. Next step was to check the starter push button and the on/off switch on the handlebar. Couldn't see how to dis-connect the starter button from the wiring, so I sprayed WD40 over everything. Let it sit over night. Today I started the bike up with no clicking, nothing, I just touched the button and then hit the button again (just getting it over TDC) fired right up, but would only stay running for about 5-7 seconds and then it would die. The headlights would go out, all the fairing gauge lights would go out. Then about 5 seconds later I could hear a click, sound like it is coming from behind the fairing. After the click, all the gauge lights and the headlights come on and I can fire up the bike again, only for it to do the same thing. I am making progress, any ideas what this new click might be. Again thanks for your patience, I do appreciate it. Should I replace the starter, on/off buttons as well? Could the click be a main circuit breaker?

Last edited by scot210; 07-17-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2012 | 05:36 PM
Stash905
Road Captain

Don't use the fairing gauge as a diagnostic tool. It could be wrong.

Old 07-17-2012 | 07:36 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok here is the latest. I have taken the primary off and looked at the jack shaft gear and the primary basket, teeth all present and accorded for. Took out the starter/solenoid and everything looks good there. Next step was to take the on/off, and start button from the handle bar and check it out, couldn't really see how to disconnect the switches, so I sprayed them with WD40. Left them over night. So today I tried again, the bike starter right up with out a hitch. Starter sounded perfect, no clicking, or lagging, just a clean fast start. But the bike will run for about 5-7 seconds and then it quits. Interesting thing when it dies is, headlights go out, instruments on the fairing all go out. Then about 5 seconds later there is a click, which sounds like it is coming from the fairing, and the the power is restored, headlights and fairing lights back on, and I could start the bike again without any issues. Any suggestions as to what the click is after the bike has died??

My Softail has a 30 amp circuit breaker in the starting system tied to alternator . It is located up in front of rear wheel. You can see it with the wires attached to it. Is it possible you have something in the wiring to the head light or a bad voltage regulator kicking this circuit breaker and it is acting like an on/off switch. I do not believe after it runs 7 second you have a start problem. You have a run problem. I also have a circuit breaker on headlights in fuse box but if this is kicking it would not turn off bike, just head light. Sound like you have a serious ground issue. You need to check stator leads for grounding and while running voltage output to battery at 2000 rpm

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2012 | 02:38 PM
scot210
|
Tourer

Found part of the problem out today, wire from the stator to Voltage Regulator, the wire connects to AC side of VR was bared and it was rubbing on the frame. Took the connector and wire to an electrical shop, they fixed the wire. I will read up on how to check this: You need to check stator leads for grounding and while running voltage output to battery at 2000 rpm. The bike still wants to stall even after the wire has been repaired
Sheesh, will it ever end!

Old 07-18-2012 | 09:38 PM
scot210
|
Tourer

Latest update. In my search today, I was going through the process of checking the stator and the VR. I started pulling the wires apart and getting ready to disconnect the VR. I found a bare wire, it had been rubbing along the frame, so it was shorting out. Great off to an electrical shop. 15 minutes later the wire was repaired and I was on my way home. Hooked it all back up and fired the bike up, all excited that I had fixed the problem. Nope same thing. Bike would run about 5 seconds and then shut off. Approximately 5 second or so later I would hear a click again. Went back through all I had done. When I first started into this I disconnected every connection I could find. I had heard a crack when I broke a nut of off my starter circuit breaker. So not to take a chance I went to an indy shop and bought a new one. Fortunately I kept the package that it came in. It was a 15 amp breaker. Ahhhh _____.( Note to self, check the package rating next time) Went to Harley and bought a new breaker, 50 amp, no more 40 amp breaker,(harley must have had some issues). Put the new breaker in and bike fired right up and ran under idle and when I revved it up. So I hope I have it fixed. We will ride it tomorrow. Thanks everyone for helping me along. Hope the end results of what actually happened may help some one else out when their time comes.

Old 07-18-2012 | 09:40 PM
scot210
|
Tourer

Special thanks to Ripsaw, who pm-ed me with help.

Old 07-18-2012 | 10:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

That can be a problem when it's not big enough..least that's what the Whip lady says? ....
least we know what that breaker is for in the starting system. It's not the starter itself but the draw on the alternator. When it goes, the power goes..just like a kill or on/off switch.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-18-2012 at 10:10 PM.