Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you clean the Idle Air Control 06 SG

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012 | 09:17 AM
lkr0
|
Elite HDF Member
Default how do you clean the Idle Air Control 06 SG

trying to chase down an intermittent idle problem -- how do you clean the IAC on a 06 SG (carb)

Old 06-26-2012 | 09:26 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

have you tried some sea foam through the tank to start? Might help with your idle problem. It has on a few of my idle related issues on various vehicles. Good stuff

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-26-2012 | 09:54 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lkr0
trying to chase down an intermittent idle problem -- how do you clean the IAC on a 06 SG (carb)
My suggestion and a little about what you are talking about for others. Do you really have a carb on your SG or is it a throttle body????
I am talking throttle body below.

The IAC is a solenoid step motor controlled passage around butterfly in throttle body. When the pintle valve open its the size of a pointed pencil and open up a large hole. This not your problem and if by chance it is the actual seat area, you can check that by simple removing air filter. Peer upward into top area of throttle body and key the switch on. You will see the pintle pull out all the way and come back to the high speed idle area depending on outside temperature and if engine is cold. Key it off and it jumps back all way in cutting off all idle air so you do not get run on with the high idle speeds ECM controlled bikes need so they do not stall. The ECM knows were it's at and if it really is bad it will tell you with an engine code on the dash. If it's off over +/-200RPM the code will set P0505 If it really is sticking someone has already stuck a carb/throttle body cleaner solution spray up in hole and drove crud up pass o-ring in solenoid and once it dries it jams and trashes it. From my experience at 40K that passage even with Harley venting the engine into the air box even that excess oil does not get into that passage sine it's at top of throttle body. (can get on butterfly and stick it but then what you need to do is spray a small amount on a clean lent free cloth and open throttle and reach in an wipe seat area and inside back face carefully till you no longer see crud. Never ever adjust it for idle.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2012 | 07:33 PM
lkr0
|
Elite HDF Member

thanks guys, going to try the sea foam first--it has happened four times in the past not a consistent thing -- don't want it to become a serious problem

Old 06-26-2012 | 08:46 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
have you tried some sea foam through the tank to start? Might help with your idle problem. It has on a few of my idle related issues on various vehicles. Good stuff
If it is FI the Seafoam won't do a thing unless you spray it in the throat I'm not sure were the IAC is on a Carb if it has one. The IAC is before the injectors you will need to spray at the 12 o clock location and lay a lint free towel in the bottom of the throttle body to catch the dirt.
I've used CRC MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR SPRAY CLEANER works good.

Last edited by TWIN CAM 96; 06-26-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2012 | 10:26 PM
MAJOR
Cruiser

Check for an intake manifold leak. Spray WD-40 (or starting fluid) near the intakes by each head while idling. If the idle speed changes with spray you have an intake leak.
Four bucks for seals and 2.5 hours of labor with lots of cursing. I just finished and it fixed my idle issues, but what a PITA the throttle body screws are to get back on.

Old 06-27-2012 | 07:46 AM
lkr0
|
Elite HDF Member

yes it's the last year for Carb bikes; starting with easy stuff first and work my way up to the harder stuff (espensive).

Old 06-27-2012 | 07:54 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Just what TC96 said but clean like I instructed. Only air goes down that hole. NOT FUEL

Old 06-27-2012 | 08:05 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

There is no IAC valve on a carb'd bike, the IAC is for FI bikes only. If your bike is carb'd, what the intermittent idle issues: low idle, varying idle, high idle?

Old 06-27-2012 | 10:08 AM
lkr0
|
Elite HDF Member

06 SG -- S&S T-111 motor

this only occurs while getting off the highway 70 - 80 mph to a stop, going to a stop bike idles fine then all of a sudden rpms drop from 1k to 6/700 then wants to cut off -- seconds later cuts off.

this has happened four times in the last two months; same circumstances.

bike re-starts just fine

Quick Reply: how do you clean the Idle Air Control 06 SG