Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you clean the Idle Air Control 06 SG

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012 | 11:20 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

Maybe I am the only one confused - do you have a carb or FI?

Old 06-27-2012 | 01:04 PM
whistlebritches
Tourer

he does not have a FI bike and carbs aint got an IAC .... i'm bettin its a float prob as it goes from a good sustained pace to idle....i'd clean the carb

Old 06-27-2012 | 01:15 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by whistlebritches
he does not have a FI bike and carbs aint got an IAC .... i'm bettin its a float prob as it goes from a good sustained pace to idle....i'd clean the carb
I know carbs don't have an IAC - never thought about the float though - was thinking the idle circuits on the carb were gummed up or something. Not sure if an air leak would cause that. Cleaning the carb would do the trick though

Old 06-27-2012 | 01:20 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by lkr0
trying to chase down an intermittent idle problem -- how do you clean the IAC on a 06 SG (carb)
Is it a high- or low-idle problem? Please describe your problem in more detail. If high and accompanied with occasional misfiring, put the TPS on your list of suspects.

Old 06-27-2012 | 01:21 PM
lkr0
|
Elite HDF Member

will clean the carb today and see what happens

Old 07-15-2012 | 09:08 PM
lkr0
|
Elite HDF Member

UPDATE--I cleaned the carb; added SeaFoam -- same thing happens this evening.

on the highway doing 75 - 80 for 10/15 minutes off the highway idle 400 -- 900 rpms wants to cut off -- I give gas to keep it going -- had I not given it gas it would have cut off. this is becoming a more frequent occurence.

Any other suggestions?

thanks is advance

Old 01-31-2013 | 04:07 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

Hi Ripsaw, in another thread regarding popping every once in a while when starting fi on a Heritage, I was advised to check the IAC. On mine, it does not move when I turn the switch on. It only begins to move slowly outward when i switch if off. This seems to work in reverse. is that the way it is suppossed to work? I did spray it with cleaner, but it does not seem to be stuck,

Old 01-31-2013 | 05:21 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cgmartine
Hi Ripsaw, in another thread regarding popping every once in a while when starting fi on a Heritage, I was advised to check the IAC. On mine, it does not move when I turn the switch on. It only begins to move slowly outward when i switch if off. This seems to work in reverse. is that the way it is suppossed to work? I did spray it with cleaner, but it does not seem to be stuck,
We are hijacking Ikr's post but he seems to have gone away and as most did not post his finial got it fixed and what was wrong. Tell me exactly what yours is doing and I will try to help. Are you talking about a backfire like one loud pop upon cranking once in say 5-10 starts? I think I can explain that. I explanation on how the IAC works is clear and out of the service manual and why it is doing what in post 3. If your is start at a higher idle when cold and idling down in a couple minutes and coming to idle at a red light and shutting of with out any run on (dieseling) it's probably OK but it should function as described with a key on and the key off as described above with out the motor running

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-01-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2013 | 11:19 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

I have a fully stock 2006 efi Heritage softail. The backfiring only occurs intermittently. Hot or cold. Only does it when starting the motor, about once out of ten times. The IAC was not dirty and moving freely. The IAC does not move when I turn on the key. It only moves up and down a couple of times when I shut off the motor, and appears to stay in the open position when off. If this is not the source of the backfiring, what could be doing it? The bike idles fine and never backfires at any other time.

Old 02-01-2013 | 06:04 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
My suggestion and a little about what you are talking about for others. Do you really have a carb on your SG or is it a throttle body????
I am talking throttle body below.

The IAC is a solenoid step motor controlled passage around butterfly in throttle body. When the pintle valve open its the size of a pointed pencil and open up a large hole. This not your problem and if by chance it is the actual seat area, you can check that by simple removing air filter. Peer upward into top area of throttle body and key the switch on. You will see the pintle pull out all the way and come back to the high speed idle area depending on outside temperature and if engine is cold. Key it off and it jumps back all way in cutting off all idle air so you do not get run on with the high idle speeds ECM controlled bikes need so they do not stall. The ECM knows were it's at and if it really is bad it will tell you with an engine code on the dash. If it's off over +/-200RPM the code will set P0505 If it really is sticking someone has already stuck a carb/throttle body cleaner solution spray up in hole and drove crud up pass o-ring in solenoid and once it dries it jams and trashes it. From my experience at 40K that passage even with Harley venting the engine into the air box even that excess oil does not get into that passage sine it's at top of throttle body. (can get on butterfly and stick it but then what you need to do is spray a small amount on a clean lent free cloth and open throttle and reach in an wipe seat area and inside back face carefully till you no longer see crud. Remember the butter fly on a throttle body is air tight. Rain water will not even pass it with throttle shut. Never ever adjust it for idle.
Excellent post IMO.

Quick Reply: how do you clean the Idle Air Control 06 SG