Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might have found the wobble today

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012 | 05:13 PM
Gliden
|
Club Member
Default I might have found the wobble today

Well a few weeks ago I chimed in on a thread about having a wobble at high speed when I bank into a turn or pull out to pass under power of course.
It scared the crap out of me several times by it's violent severity.

Other times I was able to keep my cool and power through it or even slow down out of it. I ordered true track and didn't install it yet for a few reasons.

1) I felt like I was putting a band aid on the problem instead of figuring out the problem.

2) I've had the bike since 09 and only now this started....

Long story short today I found my right progressive 440 shocks preload set 4 turns tight while the left side was only 1 1/2 turns tight.

It was rainy here most of today so I couldn't high speed bank test anyplace but knowing that one shock was set firm and the other loose it would ( in my mind) explain the wobble effect when in a turn or even while straight and hitting a dip.

If the rain stops I'll know soon if that was what caused it.....

So you must be thinking who turned the right shock preload twice as firm as the other shock? I vaguely remember when installing the true Dual pipes over the winter sitting on the garage floor with the bike pipes removed and reaching for the shock and turning it. I don't remember if my intent was to tighten the ride up or what but I obviously never touched the left side which left me with two different shock settings on each side and damn near wobbled myself off the road because of it. I'll confirm by taking some sweepers by the weekend. Then I guess I'll put on this true track thing for some added protection. I'll let ya know if the shock mismatch was the cause.

Old 06-25-2012 | 05:40 PM
scj
Road Warrior

Double your life insurance before you head out to purposely try an force a high speed wobble because a difference in the setting should have no effect.
Look for worn wheel bearings, worn swing arm bearings, loose axle, cupped tire, worn rear engine/tranny mounts, etc.....

Last edited by scj; 06-25-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2012 | 05:49 PM
Gliden
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by scj
Double your life insurance before you head out to purposely try to force a high speed wobble because a difference in the setting should have no effect.
Look for worn wheel bearings, worn swing arm bearings, loose axle, cupped tire, worn rear engine/tranny mounts, etc.....
Really? I'm thinking the one side of the bike is soft and the other was firm so it made sense to me that she started to wiggle around bends when instead of going up and down she was getting this different response.

Old 06-25-2012 | 05:57 PM
whiskyls1
Tourer

I've got an '11 and I feel the wobble on perfectly banked, smooth, big turns at speed. Big time while riding two up.

Old 06-25-2012 | 05:59 PM
scj
Road Warrior

Take a look at Harley's latest rear shocks, one side is completely different from the other.
Look elsewhere.

Old 06-25-2012 | 05:59 PM
Gliden
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by whiskyls1
I've got an '11 and I feel the wobble on perfectly banked, smooth, big turns at speed. Big time while riding two up.

Ugh.....that's scary....

Old 06-25-2012 | 07:40 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gliden
Really? I'm thinking the one side of the bike is soft and the other was firm so it made sense to me that she started to wiggle around bends when instead of going up and down she was getting this different response.
HD Premium Ride shocks are made that way. I had them on my '10 and did nothing to increase or decrease wobble.

I fixed my bagger wobble by having my indy grease the neck bearings and do a fall-away adjustment. He also tightened the bar mount bushings and all the other critical fasteners including the swingarm. No more wobble.

This was after my Harley dealer told me the wobble is caused by my SE clutch spring being too tight, and that I pull the handle bar causing a wobble. What a MORON tech!

Old 06-25-2012 | 07:46 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

if that's your bike in the picture, it looks like you have spokes. check for loose rear spokes.

Old 06-25-2012 | 08:17 PM
NevadaNick
Cruiser

The swing arm would have to be like a wet noodle for the preload difference to cause that.

Old 06-25-2012 | 08:23 PM
peddler
Club Member

I don't get it. For the last 4 model years I've read how the new improved frame solved all of the wobble problems.Not true?

Quick Reply: I might have found the wobble today