Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issue after running

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012 | 04:51 AM
jeeping1974
|
Intermediate
Default Starting issue after running

Last night I took my 06 SG out for to run a few errands. I let it idle/run for about 3-4 minutes before leaving, did about 3 miles of sity roads with about 5-6 stops, got on the highway for about 4 miles doing 55-60mph, got off the highway and figured I'd fill up since there was a gas station right there. I turned it off with the switch on the handle bars. I filled up with mid-grade gas as usual, put about 3.5 gallons in and had a heck of a time starting it back up. It would turn over but not catch.

I figured it was warmed up enough so I didn't have the choke on, but I had to play with the throttle to get it going. Once I did, it was running fine with no issues. Stopped again a few minutes later, went into the store, came back out ~10 minutes later and she started right up.

I've had this hard start happen once before but never really thought anything of it. What do you guys & gals think? Am I just worrying over nothing? Is this an issue that others are having?

Old 06-25-2012 | 08:31 AM
t059736
Road Captain

It would be an issue for me.

If you ignore this issue; don't complain when you stop along Never Never Road for a pee; and the bike doesn't start no matter what you try.

Ride In Peace

Old 06-25-2012 | 11:30 AM
jeeping1974
|
Intermediate

What would be causing it?

Old 06-26-2012 | 11:53 AM
lowrider56
Advanced

I had the same problem with my carbed 99 electra glide. I asked for advice on this forum and was told to try Sea Foam. I am no wrench so I can't explain why, but after using and continuing to use Sea Foam, I no longer have that problem. It might be worth a try. Ain't this a great place to ask questions?

Old 06-26-2012 | 11:56 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with the seafoam, but also, try running premium in the bike and see if that makes a difference. also take a look at your plugs see if they are fouled.

Old 06-26-2012 | 06:47 PM
jeeping1974
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lowrider56
I had the same problem with my carbed 99 electra glide. I asked for advice on this forum and was told to try Sea Foam. I am no wrench so I can't explain why, but after using and continuing to use Sea Foam, I no longer have that problem. It might be worth a try. Ain't this a great place to ask questions?
The previous owner said that he would use seafoam once or twice a year. Probably onto something there.

Originally Posted by jimsflh
I agree with the seafoam, but also, try running premium in the bike and see if that makes a difference. also take a look at your plugs see if they are fouled.
If they are you think it could be too rich? The bike has 18,xxx miles on it, stage 1 kit (carb), forcewinder AI and Samson slip-ons (soon to be Rineheart).

Old 06-26-2012 | 09:29 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member

Look at your plugs that will tell if it is to rich.

Old 07-05-2012 | 05:59 AM
jeeping1974
|
Intermediate

Pulled both plugs and both are a dark tan color. They are not fouled or anything. I've been running the higher grade gas now and have only had this issue once since last week.

Old 07-05-2012 | 06:08 AM
Rauzer
Road Captain

My Subaru used to do that. If I just shut it off, like to fill up, and then back on it would start hard and run a little weird for a min or 2. I was told it had something to do with the computer. Like you, if I let it sit longer it started/ran fine. My 05 RK sometimes does the same thing. Doesnt bother me enough to worry about it.

Old 07-05-2012 | 07:07 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rauzer
My Subaru used to do that. If I just shut it off, like to fill up, and then back on it would start hard and run a little weird for a min or 2. I was told it had something to do with the computer. Like you, if I let it sit longer it started/ran fine. My 05 RK sometimes does the same thing. Doesnt bother me enough to worry about it.
The "computers" only apply to fuel injected machines.
Sea foam will remove any varnish built up from fuel, does a good job at cleaning "sticky" components.

Quick Reply: Starting issue after running