Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A case of Bad gas!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I run an 07 FXTC, 10 Superglide, 10 Ultra and a 12 Road Glide on 87 octane (85 in the mountains) from the beginning and have never encountered any pinging.

The EPA mandates that all vehicles sold in the US must be able to run on 87 octane. They are also working on changing aviation motors to 87 to end the supply of aviation gas.

I do have all with oil coolers and run a better AFR than stock.

Unless the engine has high lift cams and higher compression then higher octane would be needed but not a stock TC.

Lugging will result in pinging, carbon build up will result in pinging.

Note: HD says do not use octane boosters in the owners manual.
I agree and use regular grade also with no pinging, but the intake/pipes/exhaust are not stock and run a fuelpak. No loss of mpg with 87.

Funny how some people will jump all over you for using 87 because mother HD says to use premium, but apparently when mom says don't use octane boosters, she don't know what she's talking about.

Dealers sell octane booster to make money and people are dumb enough to buy it.

Last edited by Chunker; 06-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 PM
deli
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In these "times of struggle economically" even the gas dealers will water the tanks a little I would suspect. I've heard of gasoline drivers saying they routinely put the low grade in the high grade tanks. Sometimes the seller pays for a certain amount for the load, say $1500.00 for x amount of gallons-- and if their low grade tank fills before they've used it all..guess where it goes..anywhere..like the high grade tank..etc..I have no proof.. this old fart just been around for a long time..Ain't the first time we've had gasoline "issues".
Just my .02 cents..

Postman
Leesburg, FL[/QUOTE]

Calling bull on the old fart, and the drivers he is listening to. Anyone caught selling gas at less than the octane displayed pays serious penalties, up to and including business closure. My stores are tested by state inspectors monthly, and I assume that is the case most everywhere. They draw 5 gallon samples from every hose to check for meter accuracy and pull a random 5 gallons from any hose to check for selected octane. There is zero tolerance on the low side for either measures. Fuel drivers check tank capacities prior to the drop. Fuel trailers are compartmentalized, and the delivery driver won't even open a compartment if the underground tank can't hold it. The submersible pumps in the underground tanks wont draw from the bottom, as that is where water settles, it being heavier than gas. Ethanol blends absorb moisture. 4 gallons of water will kill 9000 gallons of 10% ethanol blended gas. The op probably bought "old blended gas", sitting in the ground for more than a month, and absorbing humidity from the air. I make every effort to buy my bike fuel from high volume locations, regardless of the brand. I will even stop early if I am in unfamiliar territory and uncertain of high volume locations at my destination. I don't want to get stuck with any dealers old stuff in my tank. By the way, I have retailed many of the majors, all different colors, as well as unbranded. The brand that produced the least amount of corrosion on the underground system is Chevron. Believe it or not, some of the brands mentioned above were more corrosive than my unbranded stores.

Last edited by deli; 06-28-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:15 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,657 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Always try to get to a station that has a separate hose for each grade of gas.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point Deli,
I spoke with my brother who lives near that station and he said it is quite busy as their prices are the cheapest in the area. He said that the lower octane probably sells quite well, but that the more expensive higher octane is less popular and so has likely sat in the tanks for quite some time. This probably makes the most sense. It is a learn for me to be better prepared with a little octane booster and some Lucas fuel injector fluid (water displacer) just in case I run into this situation again while out on the road.