Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A case of Bad gas!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

I have bad gas all the time. Beer and seafood will do it to you.
Oh, you meant the bike!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I run an 07 FXTC, 10 Superglide, 10 Ultra and a 12 Road Glide on 87 octane (85 in the mountains) from the beginning and have never encountered any pinging.

The EPA mandates that all vehicles sold in the US must be able to run on 87 octane. They are also working on changing aviation motors to 87 to end the supply of aviation gas.

I do have all with oil coolers and run a better AFR than stock.

Unless the engine has high lift cams and higher compression then higher octane would be needed but not a stock TC.

Lugging will result in pinging, carbon build up will result in pinging.

Note: HD says do not use octane boosters in the owners manual.

Last edited by lh4x4; 06-25-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 PM
FLPostman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad gas

"Note: HD says do not use octane boosters in the owners manual."

My Harley dealer sells octane booster- $4.95 for 2 oz. If they don't recommend. why do they sell it?? Just sayin'

In these "times of struggle economically" even the gas dealers will water the tanks a little I would suspect. I've heard of gasoline drivers saying they routinely put the low grade in the high grade tanks. Sometimes the seller pays for a certain amount for the load, say $1500.00 for x amount of gallons-- and if their low grade tank fills before they've used it all..guess where it goes..anywhere..like the high grade tank..etc..I have no proof.. this old fart just been around for a long time..Ain't the first time we've had gasoline "issues".
Just my .02 cents..

Postman
Leesburg, FL

Old 06-25-2012, 11:07 PM
cmc seabee
Cruiser

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

This is why I use Shell gasoline whenever I can find it. Shell gasoline is recommended by Harley because they are one of the few stations that have a separate pump and hose for their Premium gasoline. I stay away from stations that use the same hose for regular, mid-grade and premium if at all possible. Also stay away from Arco gasoline.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 PM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I use 87 all time on my bikes, never had a problem, maybe were something else like water!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:13 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bottle of additive might be a good idea for the long hauls. You never know what you might run into fuel-wise!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:17 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by carltex
One bad thing about getting high octane gas is you have to purge the line of the regular unleaded gas the last person put in so the octane level isn't quite what you would think.

Just looked it up.....

"According to the American Petroleum Institute the gas-pump hose typically retains about one third of a gallon of fuel."

Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 AM
scoobs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmc seabee
This is why I use Shell gasoline whenever I can find it. Shell gasoline is recommended by Harley because they are one of the few stations that have a separate pump and hose for their Premium gasoline. I stay away from stations that use the same hose for regular, mid-grade and premium if at all possible. Also stay away from Arco gasoline.
The Shell just down the road from me sells all three grades through a single hose, so the idea of getting pure Premium from them is out the window. Town I live in(over 50K population), there is not a single station that I have found has a pump with separate hoses.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 AM
cmc seabee
Cruiser

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know what to tell you Scoobs, but even the Chevron stations around the Seattle area all have separate hoses for each grade gasoline. Maybe it's up to each individual state. All I can say is I have never had a problem except with Arco gas.
Ride safe

Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

FLPostman:

He wants $ from you. Just like he well sell you not legal for street use racing components for you to use on the street.

Quick Reply: A case of Bad gas!