Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Faststeel
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS wheel bearings

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the bearing Harley uses for ABS and the regular wheel bearings that goes in a hub. It looks like you use two different part number bearings for ABS and two of the same for the non ABS??

Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ABS bearing is green...and has a magnetic something (not sure if it is one of the bearings or what exactly) in it so the speed sensor pick up can see the wheel speed for the ABS to work.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I haven't actually seen the bearings but one difference you can be quite certain of is that the ABS bearing has some triggering mechanism built into it for the ABS wheel sensor to read.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Two different part #'s because they're different parts. An ABS bearing will work on a non ABS bike, but non ABS won't work on an ABS system.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

ABS bearings are thicker than non, an abs wheel has one regular bearing and one ABS bearing on the sensor side, the thickness difference is made up at the sensor that takes the place of the standard spacer. What are you tring to do? Maybe I can help explain further

Last edited by DPete; 06-24-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,111 Likes on 5,014 Posts

the abs brg has a reluctor plate in it not actually a plate, but small pieces of square metal, that is magnetized which the abs sensor reads wheel speed. I have a tool for checking the magnetic field, its a card with metal filings in it sealed in a window so you can see the patterns. you place the card over the brg, and you can tell if the abs portion of the brg is any good. its really quite simple but they are different and cannot be interchanged, as dpete said

Old 06-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Faststeel
6th Gear

I though that it had something to do with the censor. I replaced the ones in my sons 08 Dyna, the Harley shop said that they had a bad batch of them around that time. Thought I would try something different I used 2 SKF USA made 6205 bearings. Hum USA made bearings on a Harley now that's different!!!! The ones I looked at at the Harley shop came from three different countries and the US was not one of them. Well at least the bearing for the ABS wheels comes from Canada, but when I do my bagger I think I will still use a US made one on the side that doesn't take the ABS bearing, just saying. American parts on an American made bike, I like that!!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
the abs brg has a reluctor plate in it not actually a plate, but small pieces of square metal, that is magnetized which the abs sensor reads wheel speed. I have a tool for checking the magnetic field, its a card with metal filings in it sealed in a window so you can see the patterns. you place the card over the brg, and you can tell if the abs portion of the brg is any good. its really quite simple but they are different and cannot be interchanged, as dpete said
Hey charlie, How many lugs (for lack of a better word) does the bearing have in it for the sensor to pick up? If you use the tool you described I imagine the shavings congregate the the magnetic lugs in the bearing and you could count them. Right?

Or is it the sensor that has multiple pick-ups and just a single magnetic lug in the bearing?

I'm interested just for general information as to how many data points the sensor reads per wheel revolution.

Last edited by 2black1s; 06-24-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Faststeel
6th Gear

I am not sure but I think they may be the same thickness, can't say for sure the ABS bearing that I look at at the shop had the 6205 number on it it was an *** brand bearing from Canada but one side had a different type seal, must be for the censor to work correctly. But I think all 6205 bearings are 25mm ID X 52mm OD and 15mm thick.
I don't know what the Harley shop would say if I pulled out my Mic out and measured it out at there counter LOL. But the regular bearings are 20 bucks and the ABS 30 bucks, so that ain't to bad. Thanks for all your input!!
Ride safe!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,111 Likes on 5,014 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Hey charlie, How many lugs (for lack of a better word) does the bearing have in it for the sensor to pick up? If you use the tool you described I imagine the shavings congregate the the magnetic lugs in the bearing and you could count them. Right?

Or is it the sensor that has multiple pick-ups and just a single magnetic lug in the bearing?

I'm interested just for general information as to how many data points the sensor reads per wheel revolution.
I'll bring the tool home today and try to get that info for you, should be around 25-30 I suspect theres quite a few there

Quick Reply: ABS wheel bearings