Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012 | 07:07 AM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons

Considering (of all things) a Road Glide Custom. Having said that, a Street Glide is also not out of the question.

Getting back to the Road Glides for now, I see that the Ultra has the entire tour pack set up w/speakers, anti-lock brakes, security system, lowers, cruise control, and more suspension travel for not much more money. Conversely, it has smaller diameter wheels and (arguably) a less exciting looking rear fender area if the tourpack is removed. The same is true, depending on one's preferences, for the Street/Electra Glides.

Personally, I was never into the huge front wheel thing on Glides (23-30). Is the lesser suspension really noticeable on the Road/Street Glides for 1 up riding? I don't want to sacrifice that much long range comfort. I know that there is always a Road King, but I don't know if I want to go that route.

Does the 19" front Glide wheel help or hurt the handling relative to the Ultras' 17"? Essentially, this long-winded question boils down to this: Do we buy Ultras and strip off much of the stuff for local riding, or do we buy the Road or Street Glide, add the ABS and a couple of do-dads?

Please let me hear from those with experience and why. Thanks much!

Old 06-23-2012 | 07:16 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

First off, no one can answer that question for you, it's what YOU want that matters.
But, you have to ask what you want your motorcycle to do for you. Are you going to tour on it, mostly around town? Work vehicle?

I have a SG now, but hands down the best bikes I've owned we're Ultra's....I didn't find them hard to ride in town and were great on the road. I had a 2010 RG but I prefer the batwing fairing, nothing bad to say about the road toad, just like BW fairing better....but the new RG Ultra is easy to like....

Old 06-23-2012 | 07:23 AM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I mostly ride locally. I occasionally do travel farther, and at those times, the lack of windshield, suspension, and luggage is very limiting. Mostly though, after several hours at highway speed on a Softail, I arrive more fatigued than I would on a tourer, as I am asking a great bike to perform outside of its intended purpose.

We know about the around the world Sportster riders, as well as the 3,000 miles to Sturgis on a hardtail chopper riders, but I'm not nearly manly enough for that...

Old 06-23-2012 | 08:36 AM
bdavis
Road Master

I was just in the market for a new touring bike after five years on a Street Glide. I LOVED the Street Glide. I test road a 2012 Street Glide, 2012 Road Glide, and 2012 Ultra Classic. I did not like the feel of the Road Glide at all. I was about to buy the Street Glide when the salesman offered me the Ultra for the same price (and it included ABS and security). I bought the Ultra and am glad I did. I don't think you can beat the Street Glide for looks, but if you want comfort and plenty of storage, the Ultra is the best thing going.

Old 06-23-2012 | 08:39 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The RGC and the SG both come with 18" front wheels.

Old 06-23-2012 | 08:55 AM
captainron62
Tourer

I just went thru this. I made two columns on a sheet of paper and added up what I would add to both bikes. Also, dont forget it is quite costly to take the tour pak off an Ultra, a lot of folks dont realize this!

When all was said and done I went with a RG and ordered a tour pak. The tour pak had never been out of the box, oddly enough I have found my HD back pak more convenient for solo touring. I will only use the tour pak if the OL is with me.

Totally personal decision.

Old 06-23-2012 | 08:55 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

OK most of us know that the SG and the EG Classic are the same price - $19499. All you have to do is sit down and add up the $$$ worth of stuff taken off the Electra Glide Classic to make a Street Glide. You will be amazed!

I had a conversation with a salesman this past week. A EG and SG were sitting next to each other. He mentioned that the SG was the most popular HD Touring bike. I asked if he ever thought about how much pricey stuff is taken off the EG to make a SG, and that they end up being the same price.

He thought I was spouting BS and was sure the SG was less than the EG Classic! I had him check the tags, and he became a believer. I told him never to doubt me again!

Last edited by dswansbiker; 06-23-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-23-2012 | 09:07 AM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
The RGC and the SG both come with 18" front wheels.
Yes, typo.

Old 06-23-2012 | 09:09 AM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dswansbiker
OK most of us know that the SG and the EG Classic are the same price - $19499. All you have to do is sit down and add up the $$$ worth of stuff taken off the Electra Glide Classic to make a Street Glide. You will be amazed!

I had a conversation with a salesman this past week. A EG and SG were sitting next to each other. He mentioned that the SG was the most popular HD Touring bike. I asked if he ever thought about how much pricey stuff is taken off the EG to make a SG, and that they end up being the same price.

He thought I was spouting BS and was sure the SG was less than the EG Classic! I had him check the tags, and he became a believer. I told him never to doubt me again!

Very interesting indeed.

Old 06-23-2012 | 09:39 AM
2008RKC08
Cruiser

Just build an Ultra Street King Classic and have the best of all.

Quick Reply: Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons