Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road & Street Glides vs. Ultra / Electra (again) Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012 | 06:33 AM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Markusm
Both my son and I are looking to do a dual purchase, He the Road Glide Ultra
and for me a Ultra limited.Not sure if we"re going with 2012 or lucky 13.
If you read this article http://www.thunderpress.net/Articles...12/Road_Glide/
It closes with a fuel comparison statement.My question is, can this be correct and do any of you RGU owners agree with these figures.
thanks
Mark

I have that same bike in a '12 model and I do agree with the figures. Well written article and I agree with everything he said including the part about how the batwing protects you better in wind and rain. Some may take exception to the wind part but to me the RGU handles better in the wind but there is more protection with the batwing and that only makes sense because the protection is closer to the rider. But for me, I prefer the extra room I get from the fairing being pushed forward and the lightness of the free-turning handlebar and fork inside the fairing.

Old 07-07-2012 | 06:41 AM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MCSarge
I currently have and love a Night Train. But... as the new girlfriend loves to ride and I am finding it to be fewer and fewer times I am by myself I am looking at a (shudder) touring bike. I make 1 long trip a year and several over 300 miles so a bigger bike would be better for me. The NT can take it but it just feels cramped after awhile.

So that being said I am going with the RG Ultra. I personally like the shark fairing as you see way to many SG on the road now. I like the way is handles the wind and with the Ultra I get the lowers which will keep my legs from getting soaked as they do now in a heavy dew. I will be getting the parts to make the Tour Pak removable as I don't need that every day, and will be upgrading the seat so she is happy on the back.

Bottom line test drive them and take a long hard look at what you will be doing with it. Then, as stated figure in the changes you may have to make to make you happy and go for it. Good luck on your choice.
Sarge,
I think you will like it a lot. I hope you will be able to keep that wicked looking NightTrain of yours too. Love my RGU but miss my WideGlide and Heritage.

Old 07-09-2012 | 01:13 AM
PhotoRider
Road Master

I also agree mostly with the article. I just complete the break in period on my new FLTRU and find it handles the bet touring Harley I have ridden. Wind is fine for me. No rain yet other than the first ride home and I get get only a little wet in the face using a 3/4 helmet.

I find the stereo fine to operate. most of the control is through the handlebar mounted controls anyway so you don't need to access the buttons on the radio very often. The IPOD IF makes that very easy.

My gas mileage is similar so far, but its still the break in period.

Low speed parking lots does take more effort, but nothing is for free...

Old 07-09-2012 | 01:48 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

This is a common question.

To get the RG/SG suspension to be equal to the EG/UG, it's just 13" shocks replacing the 12"s and takeoffs can be found on eBay for $100-$120

After that, the the styling of the EG/UG is outdated. A king pack may hold a lot but a chopped tour pack looks much better and a bag can be added to that.

Old 07-09-2012 | 06:05 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

I do all my around town riding on my Wide Glide, pretty much my touring bike is for over 100 mile rides. I love touring.. I also prefer to 'accesorize' the Wide Glide because I intend to keep it until I can't ride anymore while I intend to trade in the tour bikes when I get the itch. So I tend leave them relatively stock.

I had 3 RK's, the last being a Custom, which for the life of me I can't figure out why the quit making it BTW. I hve always liked the rear treatment on the SG, and wanted to try the RG, so the decision was easy, A Road Glide Custom with detach everything including the tour pack. Now the GF rides her own, so I don't know if I'll use the pack, we'll see...
As for you're questions.. IMHO the Road Glide definately feels better in the wind than my RK's did. I thought I wouldn't like (but tolerate) the fairing being so far forward, but now that I have a couple thousand on it with a 10" Windvest windshield, it is like riding without a windshield, but without the wind! I think I'm going to drop a few $'s on headers/cam/powerpak/intake etc so I can smack around a stock 110 or a Vic and be done trading for a while.

Old 07-09-2012 | 08:28 AM
Markusm
Road Master

OzarkHarleyguy/PhotoRider, sounds like yall are happy with your choices'.
How easy was your decision after comparing or was the sharknose that attracting.?
My long distance rider,BMW 1150RT, has the frame mounted front fairing and know the advantages of highway cruising and wind buffeting.Still with a good 10% better mpg....
Going to set up a test ride for both. That should help
Thanks
Mark